What do you think of my chick brooder?

Mar 3, 2023
I built this brooder for the chicks were about to get. Its 2ft 3" tall, 5ft long and 3ft wide. Theres a top to it but its not on rightnow since we dont have them. Its covered in screen and we have a heat lamp thats not put in yet. Were putting 15 chicks in it, and im wondering if you guys think its good enough? Theres two stuffed animals for them, theys always seem to like stuffed animals when they're young. I bought two chick waterers and a chick feeder already and ill put pine bedding in. Any things to add? Also tell me if you like it. It was easy to make too!

Attachments

• 20230307_105618.jpg
    20230307_105618.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230307_105837.jpg
    20230307_105837.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230307_105625.jpg
    20230307_105625.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 14
The brooder seems fine, just be careful if the bottom is made of a material ( like wood ) that will hold in moisture that it's covered with a tarp or something. Make sure you also have a heating source for them, like a brooder plate or a heat lamp. How long are you having the chicks for?

The brooder seems fine, just be careful if the bottom is made of a material ( like wood ) that will hold in moisture that it's covered with a tarp or something. Make sure you also have a heating source for them, like a brooder plate or a heat lamp. How long are you having the chicks for?
It is made of wood but i have a plastic-y sheet to cover it with, and i have a heating lamp for them. And im not fully sure what you mean by how lomg were having the chicks for but if you mean inside the brooder probably about 1-2 months? I have a small coop to move them too outside before they live with the big chickens in the big coop.

I don't brood in the house, let alone on carpet. I'd be tempted to put a sheet of plastic under it in case of a water spill.

What temperature will it be in your house? That will have good ventilation so there should be cool enough areas. If you did not have such good ventilation the risk would be that you could overheat them but I think you'll be OK. Attach your heat lamp with wire or chain so it cannot fall. If you use that clamp that comes with it you have a fire risk. Do not use string or plastic that can burn or melt, use wire or chain. And put it in one end or corner so the rest can cool down.

Overall it looks good. My first brooder was 3' x 5'. Fifteen chicks should be OK in there until they are maybe 6 weeks old, then it could get pretty tight. What will be the overnight lows where you are when they are 5 weeks old? There is a real good chance they could be outside by then.

I don't brood in the house, let alone on carpet. I'd be tempted to put a sheet of plastic under it in case of a water spill.

What temperature will it be in your house? That will have good ventilation so there should be cool enough areas. If you did not have such good ventilation the risk would be that you could overheat them but I think you'll be OK. Attach your heat lamp with wire or chain so it cannot fall. If you use that clamp that comes with it you have a fire risk. Do not use string or plastic that can burn or melt, use wire or chain. And put it in one end or corner so the rest can cool down.

Overall it looks good. My first brooder was 3' x 5'. Fifteen chicks should be OK in there until they are maybe 6 weeks old, then it could get pretty tight. What will be the overnight lows where you are when they are 5 weeks old? There is a real good chance they could be outside by then.
We have good ventilation and ive had chicks a lot before. We have a heatlamp. I always have chicks in the house but only like 5. The overnight lows in 5 weeks should mabye be arpund 35-45 Fahrenheit i think? Mabye more mabye less? I think everythings under control but thanks for the comment😀

Back
Top Bottom