What Do You Think of These Breeds Together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Juise, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Juise

Juise Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    We have 5 chickens, all 1 year old, right now. We have 1 Black Star, 2 New Hampshire Reds, and 2 Isa Browns.

We are going to be adding 5 more chickens in a couple weeks, all 8 - 10 week chicks. We will be quarantining them for the first month, but our chickens free range, and they will be joining the "old" flock as soon as we can integrate them.

I had been planning on picking up 5 Araucanas, but my 4 year old has informed me that she really really wants some white eggs. I think it's kind of funny, because the eggs from our chickens are the only eggs she has ever had, so she thinks white eggs are a special novelty. [​IMG]

I was looking at the other breeds the farm hatchery has that we will be getting our chicks from, and the only white egg layers they have listed are Leghorns.

I looked up Leghorns with her and she was excited, we don't have a white chicken. But from looking around, it seems that there are different colours of Leghorns. Am I to assume that if the farm lists them simply as "Leghorns" that they are the all white variety? Also, I was under the impression that Leghorns are big, but I couldn't seem to find anything about that. Is it true? Is it just the roosters? Would a Leghorn hen be much bigger than the other chickens we have, and do you think it would be a problem?

They also have Silkies, all colours, or so their site says, and she liked the cream eggs, too. Do all Silkies lay cream coloured eggs, or is there a specific type of Silkie I should be looking for if we want cream coloured eggs?

So, if all that is okay, we would be adding to the current flock listed at the top of the post; 1 Silkie, 1 Leghorn, and 3 Araucanas.

What do you think of those 10 chickens?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Not so sure all those are going to mix well. Leghorns tend to be really flighty and can be aggressive. Silkies are quite gentle, passive, and don't lay well, so don't get one for eggs because they are not great layers. Silkies are more for hatching eggs than laying them. Araucanas are smallish and may get picked on by the larger birds.

I think you can get away with mixing the smaller birds in with your flock, but I would be hesitant to mix a leghorn in with them.

Just my two cents.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Enjoy the new additions!

3. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I have a couple of leghorns in my flock of 30 or so, and they seem to mix well. They are not as friendly as the other breeds, but are no problem at all. And they lay lots of big eggs.

4. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Juise- I have a mixed flock of 30. All my chickens are together and they free range, too. I have rir, br, nh, bsl, slw, bo, ee, and leghorns. My leghorns are not huge, they're a petite average. They do tend to be a bit goofy (flighty), but I think it just adds to their personality. The only thing about them that in my opinion is not a highlight is that they like to lay eggs in hidey-holes. Since its been winter, they have been cooped up more so they are using the nest boxes, but the last cache of eggs I found had 17 eggs in it. So, basically, if you are not finding the right number of white eggs, start looking around.

Other than that, I see no problem with your mix although I agree that silkies are not for laying as much as hatching.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Ok J... I do not work tomorrow... If you got time, or want to risk it, come by... Look at my chickens and tell me what you think of all of them together. I have BIGS and littles... Breed sizes I mean, then the babies too! Guess what... The only fighting comes from the roos, and that is nothing. Just Mr. Fluffers keeping Roger in his place. SO, thats my opinion.... I had leghorns.. My dogs killed them, but they were the best. Miss Legs was great at laying from day one, and she was the first to greet me every day. First out, last in. And friendly. THe dots are more stand offish. The black EE, was actually the meanest. The faverolles the most laid back and the silkies the loudest. The cochin bantams are the funniest and actually the most aggressive to the littles who are BIGGER than they are.

6. Juise

Juise Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh, I'd love to! I'm send you a PM. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by