What do you think of this feed?

Seaecho

Songster
6 Years
Oct 12, 2017
High Desert, S. CA.
I will be getting pullets soon. When they start laying, I was thinking of feeding them Ace-Hi, as it is available in my area. What do you think?

Big Feeder Lay Pellet
A complete feed formulated to meet the needs of egg laying hens over 18 weeks old. No additional supplementation is required. The pellet form of this feed helps prevent chickens from kicking feed around and making a mess.

Click to enlarge

16%
Protein
4.5%
Fiber
4.0%
Fat

Where to Buy Ask a Question

Primary Ingredients
Ground Corn, Soybean Meal, Wheat Bran, Calcium Carbonate, Cane Molasses, Canola Oil, Oyster Shell Flour, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Mono Dicalcium Phosphate, Flax Seed, Salt (Sodium Chloride), Choline Chloride, Marigold Extract, Red Pepper Extract, Propionic Acid (a preservative), Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin D3 Supplement, DL-Calcium Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin K (Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex), Thiamine Mononitrate Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Copper Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite (Selenium).

View feed tag

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein - not less than 16%
Crude Fat - not less than 4.0%
Crude Fiber - not more than 4.5%
Ash - not more than 15.5%
Calcium - not less than 3.5%
Calcium - not more than 4.3%
Phosphorus - not less than 0.55%
Sodium - not less than 0.25%

Looks like many other layer feed. I see it as GOOD. I also like the pellets because they are less waste VS crumbles. Are you going to feed this also to non layers( if you have such) and roosters??? Only concern there is the calcium content. (ideal for layers, but not for others) Again, it will not wipe out those, but long term can harm their liver and kidneys.
I have mixed layers and non layers, so I use only 2% calcium. I do offer cracked oyster shells free choice. Many chickens do not live long enough to feel those effects. 16% protein is sufficient, but you may get others' opinions that 18% is better and even higher also. I feel that unless you are striving to get ABSOLUTELY MAXIMUM eggs production, 16% is fine. Many peeps also are not aware that too much protein can lead to smelly chicken gumdrops.:sick
WISHING YOU BEST....... :thumbsup

You may want to consider feeding Flock Raiser, All Purpose, All Flock, something with the higher protein to all your flock. Add a separate dish of Oyster Shells when they start laying. I start chicks off with Chick Starter (small bag) for the first 6 - 8wks, then switch them to Flock Raiser (20%). When the pullets show signs of laying then I add a dish of Oyster Shells for them.

Found out why it's recommended not to feed chicks/cockerels layer, the extra calcium not good for their kidneys. Oh, I also ferment their feed from the time they're chicks, no waste besides the nutritional benefits & less stinky poop that's alot firmer.

There's nothing wrong with that feed. Freshness is of importance so if that is the feed of choice in your area then you know it's fresh. Nutrients degrade with age.

I see your waiting for them to start laying before using layer feed. Good. There is nothing like the ease of layer, the only problem with it is it is designed to be a sole food. Like most layer feed it's on the bottom end of protein needs. If you are partial to giving treats to the birds a higher protein feed may be in order. Or offset treats like scratch with high protein refrigerator culls or cat food. The idea being laying age want minimum 15% protein in diet and that doesn't matter if every single day but on weekly average that should be your target min.

Agreed with EH. Layer is fine. Other folks prefer a higher protein feed with oyster shell on the side. Either choice is fine.

I ferment my layer feed (though not recently because of Polar weather patterns). This increases Methionine, Lysine and B vitamins in the feed, also makes all other components of the feed more digestible. There is a FAQ how and why article in my signature line.

I do handful or two oyster shell tossed out every week or two and an all flock feed myself. The main reason for that is we raise chicks every year and keep cock birds. Multi aged flocks need higher protein for the growing birds and only the layers need the added calcium. But I did at one time keep only layers and have to say layer feed was easy. Used an 18% protein because I spoiled my first hens with scratch.

You may want to consider feeding Flock Raiser, All Purpose, All Flock, something with the higher protein to all your flock. Add a separate dish of Oyster Shells when they start laying. I start chicks off with Chick Starter (small bag) for the first 6 - 8wks, then switch them to Flock Raiser (20%). When the pullets show signs of laying then I add a dish of Oyster Shells for them.

Found out why it's recommended not to feed chicks/cockerels layer, the extra calcium not good for their kidneys. Oh, I also ferment their feed from the time they're chicks, no waste besides the nutritional benefits & less stinky poop that's alot firmer.
How do you ferment their food?

The response here is wonderful. Yes, I will wait until they are all laying before feeding layer feed. I will only be getting 4 pullets, so depending on how old they are when I get them, (and if they're already laying) I will feed either starter or layer. This is great because my feed store that delivers my hay and grain for my horses carries it, and can deliver it too. Win win situation! I have read about fermenting, and am definitely going to try that.

Oh, also I am planning on giving them yogurt for extra protein a few times a week, mixed with sunflower seeds and oatmeal. Also occasional scrambled eggs. I will be giving veggies and fruits too. I will also be giving a handful here and there of scratch. But nothing in large amounts.

Back
Top Bottom