What do you think of this feed?

TSC has raised it's Purina Flock Raiser to $17.50 here, and my label is mostly identical to yours. I have used S.S.'s layer feed before, and thought it powdery, but I might give this a try at that price. I have been using Flock Raiser (with oyster shell on the side) this winter to up the protein because of some feather-picking issues.

Quote:
But the OP isn't looking for a layer, they are looking for a feed that can be fed to a range of poultry not just laying hens.
Quote:
This feed would be far better on non-laying birds than a layer feed which has way to much Calcium (Ca) in it for non-laying birds. Example Roosters, Non-laying hens Growing stock).

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
But the OP isn't looking for a layer, they are looking for a feed that can be fed to a range of poultry not just laying hens.
Quote:
This feed would be far better on non-laying birds than a layer feed which has way to much Calcium (Ca) in it for non-laying birds. Example Roosters, Non-laying hens Growing stock).

Chris

The feed the OP has is fine for general purpose but they do mention layers and there is no guarantee that the hens that need the extra calcium will eat enough to make up the difference. Layer feed is perfectly fine for Roos as well as hens but not the other way around. I can't say for Turkeys or Peafowl since I don't own them. Though it would seem that TWO different feeds , one for chickens and one for turkey's and peafowl can't be avoided. I've cut and pasted some information that might help but don't have time to do more research.

Young peafowl will live and grow much faster on a balanced ration than on grains alone. The
young need adequate vitamins, trace minerals and amino acids to do well. Their physiology is
similar to young turkeys, so turkey rations make excellent feed for peafowl.

If turkey feeds are not available chicken starter can be used, but it usually is lower in protein than
is most desirable to start young peafowl. When turkey feed is available, a blackherd preventive
should be used in the water. Peafowl are very susceptible to this disease which may occur
especially if there are chickens on the same place.

Turkey rations include a starter (28 percent protein) and a series of grower rations that will last
about four months. The final grower ration is usually about 14 percent protein and can be used to
feed the growing peafowl until they are one year old. It also can be used to feed adults.

Guineas and turkeys have about the same nutritional requirements ... You can also st

Quote:
Flock raiser has no animal protein, which chickens (and most poultry) need. TSC has a good product, which is a Dumor/Purina product called Show Poultry. Sometimes they will order it, if you ask. It is a Dumor product, but has animal protein and is medicated. I have used it for months and am liking the results.
As for your protein and feather picking........may I suggest cod liver oil? The problem is more than likely dryness, not protein. You can buy 16oz bottles (and gal size as well) from many poultry or animal supply houses. I like Smiths Poultry & Gamebird Supply http://www.poultrysupplies.com

You can make a nice little supplement, with simple scratch grain, BOSS and I like to use the Manna Pro Showbird conditioner or Calf Manna. You can dispense with the last two and just use scratch or oats and BOSS to save $$$$. The point is, you are going to put it in a container (such as the gallon sized plastic ice cream tubs) and coat the scratch with the cod liver oil. Not heavy, just enought to moisten & cover it. Of course this is something you have to adjust to your own preference. I feed about a 1 or 2 tsp to my bantams, once to twice a week. You can also dab a little Cod Liver Oil on their preening gland. Another trick is use those little Gaines Burger dog food as treats. Nice protein there too. If it is cold out, don't leave them outside, they get hard. I put about 3 bags (and use the plain, not cheeseburger style) in a large cottage cheese container and take it on my rounds. My Moderns will rush up and take them from my fingers. You'll find the Roo's will be talking all kinds of smack to the girls about this great treat. It looks like worms and they go nuts after a time or two. I give these as a treat and I believe they help their feathers.

Good luck!

Quote:
You may want to do some research on over feeding calcium to roosters and non-laying fowl before you say, Layer feed is perfectly fine for Roosters.
Just some problems with feeding too much Calcium to non-laying fowl would be kidney problems, ureter, and in some cases Avian Urolithiasis (Gout).

Chris

we have used southern states feeds for 30 years. we would feed the starter grower medicated to the young chicks(up to 6 weeks), then switch to non medicated starter grower until 16 weeks, then feed the xcell layer pellets like the rest of the flock gets. an occasional bag of rockin rooster or grain scratch in the winter.
this year we are going to skip the medicated and feed the non medicated starter grower for 12 weeks. the cockerels will get rockin rooster from 12 weeks until slaughter and the pullets will get rockin rooster from 12 weeks until 16 weeks. after that they will get the xcell lay pellets.

Back
Top Bottom