What do you think of this feed?

racuda

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
North Carolina
It's Rock-N-Rooster pellets, sold at my local farm store, Southern States. It is about $13.50, so the price is right. It is sold for cock birds, but is there any reason I can't feed it to my entire flock of chickens, Guineas, turkeys and Peafowl? I give oyster shell on the side for the hens that need it.

Rooster-Booster.jpg

How old of a flock do you have? If this is for juveniles and older fowl then it looks just fine if its for a young flock 16 weeks or younger I believe you feed your younger kids a medicated feed from 16 to 20 weeks this type with calcium added or alternative like crushed oyster shells and I even grind smaller that the commercial size it come in.

Fred's Hens :

Looks pretty darn close to Purina's Flock Raiser in specs at quick glance. Looks OK to my eye. If you don't care for the performance after a bag or two, you can always quit.

x2​

Quote:
I have four pullets that are 12 weeks old. They have never had medicated feed and I've never had a case of coccidosis. My other 40 chickens, 35 Guineas, 2 turkeys and 2 peas are all adults.

I have been feeding Flock Raiser, but this new feed appeals to me because it is contains animal protein, and it is pellets (less waste) and it is four dollars a bag cheaper than Flock Raiser.

Fred's Hens :

Looks pretty darn close to Purina's Flock Raiser in specs at quick glance. Looks OK to my eye. If you don't care for the performance after a bag or two, you can always quit.

Southern States at least has animal protein in it, Purina still thinks chickens are vegetarians.
wink.png

Chris​

Some quick research (Ezine 2 articles and chicken - ark. net) says that layers need 3.0% calcium. Your has only 1.3 so it may be a bit shy of the best for layers.

Also I keep tags from various brands and Nature wise 16% protein pellets has 3.7 -3.9 calcium and Agway Egg layer pellets has 3.5 -4.0%.

As I think you stated yours is for cock birds so it may not be good for layers. Oyster shells are fine but the two brands I mentioned are both within the same price range as what you've mentioned. Also you may not be sure just how much "oyster shells" the girls are eating and it may not be enough. The danger of soft shelled eggs is a hen that gets egg bound.

Hope this helps,

Rancher

Back
Top Bottom