What do you think of this feeder? Anyone use it?

huckleberryfarm

Chickenista
10 Years
Jan 7, 2010
Greenwood, SC
I have almost 150 chickens at the moment which obviously requires a lot of feed. We do not live full-time at the farm but I go out every day and take care of all the animals if we're not spending the night out there. Recently we had an ice storm and there was no way to drive to the farm the first day. We couldn't even get out of our driveway! Obviously I need a way to feed the chickens for more than one day at a time.... just in case.

http://www.strombergschickens.com/product/range-feeder-300-pound-capacity/large-production-and-range

I saw this feeder online. It holds up to 300 pounds. Two of those should feed my babies for a few weeks. Has anyone used something like this? It's expensive but right now, the peace of mind will make it work it to me.

Thanks!

Last edited:
You could make your own using a food grade 50 gallon plastic barrel. Just find a large tray to sit it on and drill some holes in the bottom of the barrel. Until I down sized I used them for years. Worked great for when the weather was bad or I had to be away from home for a few days. And a LOT cheaper.

I have used large capacity feeders and the only problems I have ever had is the feed absorbing moisture through humidity and then not flowing to the feed tray. It isn't as bad with pellets. If you use them outside, you will also be feeding other critters too and lastly, make sure it is where you want it before you fill it.
wink.png
I also put mine on cinder blocks or old tire rims. This makes it easier for me to keep them some what level.

Quote:
I would go for it personally. But I would only fill it with enough to last those few days. Not the whole three hundred pounds. The other option is to buy several 20-30 pound feeders and have them on hand for those days where you might think the weather would be bad. then fill them as you need them. Then youd have spares.

I live in a very dry climate so I used one of those 20 lb feeders for my four hens. I filled about once a week. I suspect I was also feeding quite a few sparrows too. But it was nice for those times when I came home from work late and I knew my girls had had enough to eat for the day.

deb

Might have to check out the big 50-gallon drum. My feeders are in enclosed chicken runs so they only thing that I've ever seen in there besides my chickens were a few little birds that could fit through the chicken wire at the top. And that was when we had snow on the ground so I guess they couldn't find anything else. We have snow on the ground about once a year so that's not a problem generally! I would definitely put it up on something. Thanks for the input!

I have made hanging feeders out of 5 gal. pails. They hold alot of feed. You need to get a tray for the bottom, the large ones that go under a planter work great, drill holes to put bolts through the tray and pail (I do 3) , cut several (4-5) larger holes arround the side of the pail near the bottom for the feed to come out into the tray. I put the cover back on and hang the pail from the handle. One or two will last several days to a week depending on how many birds you have. I only use them if I'm going to be gone for a few days so I don't have to have anyone feed my girls, they only have to check water and pick up eggs. They work great, I get the pails for free, so only have to buy the tray and bolts, geat feeders for under $5.00

Back
Top Bottom