What do you think of what this site says about vaccinations?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggcited2, Jul 31, 2010.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    I have asked about vaccinations on here, and just by accident found this today. But would like to hear what you guys think of what they say for vaccinating.

I know I am past being able to do some of the ones they say the chicks should have, but what would you do? Get all the vaccinations they say the chicks should have? Or just go with the mareks vaccination I got?

Here is the site and information (it is from purinamills) http://poultry.purinamills.com/CONDITIONSILLNESSES/DiseasePreventionandVaccination/default.aspx
  2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    To be clear they do not say that chicks should have all of the vaccinations listed on the site. What they say is (emphasis mine):

Quote:Some of those on the list -- for example Newcastle Disease -- are so rare I can't imagine any veterinarian recommending the vaccination in good conscience. Others may be appropriate for some keepers depending on their circumstances, their purposes for their poultry, and their chicken-keeping setup.

Every owner must make these decisions for him or herself based on the foundation of their practices and their unique circumstances. That said, be sure when you do you make those decisions you make them with solid information at hand. The best places to find information for weighing pros and cons are third party sources that do NOT stand to make a buck on poultry keepers directly. Wherever you find your information, use your head. Don't take anything you read as the final word. Look for the holes in the arguments they're making. Be critical.

To answer your question about what we do, we do not vaccinate for anything at any age. We do not show birds, we use common sense biosecurity measures for high-risk situations and prefer a flock built on generations of strong natural immunity to that which is present on our farm and in our region.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by