What do you think the future holds for television?

funkybabeone

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
What do you think will happen in the future in terms of television (as we go into the next decade). Question may be vague but that's because I'm interested in everyones opinions. Some questions to consider include, whether reality television die down, will NBC be good again, will the good old fashioned cartoon market still exist or will tweens devour it? and will the sitcom genre be dead by the time this decade ends. Just give me your taughts of what you think the future of television will be like.

What is television?

Just kidding, I know. I ditched cable TV and don't even have a converter box, and am as happy as a clam. Not missing out on anything since nearly all of what is broadcasted is junk. Even the History Channel, once my favorite, became a victim of sensational television *sigh*. Animal Planet used to be good, educational and entertaining, but is absolute BS now. Nat Geo and Discovery are barely educational now too.

Whatever will happen to TV in the future will definately no bother my family at all beings we don't have one that can pick up reception. Once the Govt' took over that was it!! We had actually been without a TV for several years, but when it was taken over byu them (govt') we said that there will never be another TV in our house. But we do have a 13" tv for the girls to watch DVD's and VHS movies on (Feature Fims for Families).

I read on yahoo the other day that Apple has come out with a TV that you don't even have to have cable, video games or anything hooked to.....it comes already packed with all that junk inside but I think it will cost you so many $$ per month to have. Just another way to get $$ from people, I guess.

I don't watch television any more, but I do have an opinion on this.

Television is going to merge with your computer. Indeed it already is. From what I've read there are a significant number of people who are already watching their preferred shows online through HULU and other such services.

Now this is going to mean something more than simply another way to watch your favorite show though at the moment we're not seeing much more than that yet.

While many will be content to passively watch a program without interacting with it I believe a first small, but steadily growing number of people are going to want to interact with their shows which online viewing can and eventually will make possible. Television will no longer be a one-way medium. One of the biggest changes the Internet is bring is is interactivity which is why it has exploded in popularity in the last ten years.

Precisely how people will be able to interact with their entertainment I cannot say, but it will happen. There will always be those who will be content to sit on their behinds and stare at a one-way screen, but I believe more and more people are going to want to participate in some manner. Those people are already being perceived and serviced as a market. Right now it's mostly as gaming but it some of it will eventually begin to merge into what we think of as television today.

Over the next few decades what we think of today as a television and "home computers" are going to go away. There will simply be the "data center" or whatever it ends up being called. Some will be fixed as in not intended to be mobile and then there will be the various devices meant to be carried around. Those will be mostly classified by their size such as we have now with smartphones, tablets, and net/notebooks. Some will be small enough that you'll always have them on you. Others will be big enough that you'll have to think about how you're going to carry them around. All of it static or mobile will be interactive and that is where we will be getting our non-live entertainment from. The "television" as we older folks have known it will no longer exist.

I've dropped my cable TV. Only internet from now on. I have to have DSL for my business so if it's not available online I don't get it.
Why pay for junk?

Quote:
I know what you mean. I like staying on the DVDs and such, you can control what is on much easier.
big_smile.png
God bless Youtube.
big_smile.png

Well, I think we all know that the daytime soap operas are going away. I have given thought to what others here are doing, just getting rid of TV all together other than keeping a TV and DVD player for movies, then watching the shows/episodes I am really interested in online. Right now, Dish network is included in our rent, but I think if it wasn't, we would probably not have cable. In fact, before we moved here, we had been talking for a couple of months about scrapping the cable TV anyway.

Back
Top Bottom