what do you use for a duck waterer?

Henrietta23

Songster
12 Years
Oct 20, 2007
Eastern CT
I had been using a tall plastic canister with a lid that I cut a hole out of. My ducklings are now 6 weeks old and they've started knocking it over several times a day which is making none of us happy. They are about to move outdoors in the next two days. I have a round plastice tub that is big enough for them to walk around in but not deep enough to swim in. Is that sufficient for their drinking water or do I need a separate waterer too? I think the troughs on even the larger chicken waterers aren't deep enough for them to get their bills all the way under?
Thanks!

I always use the gallon size waterers with great success they wont ever knock them over only when they start to look like adults do I let them swim in platic kiddie pools.Keep full of water or put brick or ramp so they dont drown

DUCKS RULE

Until they're outside there's really no perfect duck water situation -at least, none that I've found.
tongue.png

Now that mine have grown and are living outside we've worked something out. They do free-range during the day but they have access to two hanging cups in their pen for drinking. The cups are about six inches in diameter and about eight inches deep; they are placed high enough that they have to reach a bit to drink (they're emptied and rinsed every morning). For swimming, grooming, making a mess, etc they have a kiddie pool in the yard.
wink.png

Quote:
That sounds about the same size as what I'm using except mine don't hang. You don't happen to have pictures do you?

When the duck were in the brooder we used this...
4md5_1_s.jpg

When they came out we used something like this but bigger, luckily we have a little pond next to our house that they love to swim in...
b878ce2382b102dd18dbf10423bb9768.jpg

Quote:
Thanks chicka! I've seen the site before but haven't been there. It's very close to me too. I want to go check it out this summer.

Back
Top Bottom