What do you use for a light in the coop during winter?

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
For those who use a light during the winter to keep their hens laying, what do you all use and recommend?
My dad and I are still working on our new coop and will be putting in a light to keep the hens laying through winter.
We have a spot to put it up that won't allow the flock to knock it off or mess with it at all.

For those who use a light during the winter to keep their hens laying, what do you all use and recommend?
My dad and I are still working on our new coop and will be putting in a light to keep the hens laying through winter.
We have a spot to put it up that won't allow the flock to knock it off or mess with it at all.
I - just a few days ago - purchased a 10W solar light - for under $40. The solar panel will attach to the outside and a wire/connector will feed up through a small hole inside the top of the coop and be attached to the roof inside of their 6x8 coop. I did this so no need for electric. I've read only need 1-2 hours of light in a.m. to help with egg production. I'm not going to put mine on until Jan/Feb.

I just use a 40-60W light bulb over the roost area.
Must have a timer....if light isn't consistent you may get negative results.
The must also have food and water whenever light is on.
Mine comes on 4am and goes off at 2pm.

What I use some would consider a little pricey, but I have a solar panel I purchased on Amazon ($90), a battery for a garden tractor that I purchased from Walmart ($30), a 12v volt timer that turns the light off and on at a programmed time, also from Amazon ($15) and a 12 volt light fixture for an RV ($20). This way I did not have to run power 100 feet to the coop. The light comes on for about 2 to 3 hours at sundown. It's been in place for about 4 years now and I have had no issues with it.

By negative results, do you mean fewer eggs, or behavioral problems? Why does the consistency of the hours of light make this difference? :confused:
They could stop laying and/or go into another molt.
Because they react to the increasing and decreasing of duration of 'daylight'.
Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting.

The light comes on for about 2 to 3 hours at sundown. It's been in place for about 4 years now and I have had no issues with it.

Why do you supplement at sundown? We've chosen to not supplement because we did not want them making noise so early year round. Lol But if we could extend the day as opposed to starting it earlier that would be perfect!
And awesome set up!

Back
Top Bottom