what do you use for grit?

technodoll

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Quebec, Canada
My flock doesn't have access to any grit (their outside run is bare earth with mulched leaves and they only get to free-range for about 15 minutes every other day, under supervision) - anyways the ground is starting to freeze here... tons of snow soon.

Can I give them dry sand in a bowl, would they peck at that as grit?

Or is that too fine?

What could I buy at the co-op?

They're not helpful there...

Thanks!

I haven't been using store bought grit. Inside the run I have a lot of construction sand, which isn't as fine as play sand. The construction sand has varied sizes of pieces.

When there's snow on the ground, then I'll use store bought grit, as the construction sand will be covered. Although, I also have it in a sand box beneath the tarp roofed portion of the run.

crushed granite road base

Any place that sells driveway/road gravel by the ton should have it, or you can do what I do..... scoop up a cup or so of it out of various gravel parking lots when needed
wink.png

We have a gravel-bottomed river about 5 minutes down the road.
I sift out approximately the right size pieces, based on the size of the stuff that I bought earlier this year.

I think "they" (you know, the all elusive "they"!) recommend granite because it is a hard rock. Some the gravel you pick up from driveways are too soft/break down too easily to be of use in the crops to break down the chickens food. You may need to pick through the gravel to make sure it offers a selection of hard rocks like granite and quartz.

Quote:
Not true
Grit is not used in the crop. It is used in the gizzard. Think of the crop as a kitchen cupboard. It holds the food for latter use.

You can use Builders or Agriculture sand its a lot courser than play sand.
Also you can use Granite Grit or I like to use is like this because there is no need to get grit and oyster shells it is all in one with this..
It is a mixture of:
- Grinding stones---Grit
- Silex-stones-------Grit
- Oyster shells------Calcium
- Sea shells---------Calcium
- Redstone----------Rich in minerals and trace elements.
- Charcoal-----------Has minerals and cleans the digestive system.
- Anise oil------------For tasty treat and good for the feathers

Chris

Back
Top Bottom