What do you use for quail nesting boxes??

jackrooster

Songster
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Maine
What do you all use for your quail nesting boxes?? I have contix quail and i need some laying boxes ..........picture would be nice thanks

I took mine out and took some pics. then put it back in and took some more pics... hope this helps. No need to put hay in them, they won't leave it in there!

59035_dscf3262.jpg

59035_dscf3258.jpg

59035_dscf3260.jpg

I chose not to build nesting boxes for mine. They just lay on the 1/2" wire mesh with no problem. I think the birds I've seen at some other folks' setups with nesting boxes built in the pen think it's more of a restroom than a place to lay eggs. Eggs are much cleaner just laying on the wire.

Quote:
Your right!! If I build another one, I'll leave out the bottom board... Just use the wire floor for the eggs to set on. The reason I like to build these is it gives them a place to hide from the other ones! There is always a bully in the group and these help with that!

My big quail pen has 1/2" hardware cloth and it has a 3" drop from back to front so the eggs roll to the front. They are easy to reach that way and stay clean and out of the quail's way.

I have a colony pen and they have sandy floor with hay I replace each week. I put plants in for them to hide behind and flowerpots turned on their sides and buried a little for them too. Some gals lay every day in the same pot and others dig a little nest depression in the sand behind plants, line it with hay and lay their eggs in there. One digs right in front of the door and the corner and I have to be careful not to tread on her egg. Others are lazy and use a depression one of the others has made. Often I have to move a roo out the way to get the eggs as they are sitting on them.

In my cages I designed them with a small "room". The cages are completely open on all sides but on one end there is a box that is 12in high with a slanted roof that opens. The quail seem to lay well for me in there and not all over the place like they did in other cages I used.

I use a very very small card board box w/ a square hole cut in the side. It's very private so the female can feel safe. But .. she never uses it! LOL
lol.png
hmm.png
hu.gif

Will get a picture up in a minute ...

Back
Top Bottom