What do you use in your nest? hay? straw? nesting pad? wood shavings?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kathyinmo, Jun 21, 2009.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

What is best in the nest area? Hay or straw? My chicks are only 6 weeks old, when do I prepare nests? Do I wait until they are ready to lay, or just always have them there and available? Should I cover them, or leave them open? Thanks, Kathy

2. card5640

card5640 Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    I would leave them closed until they are about 4 months old, I use shavings and dry leaves in mine. Make sure the nest boxes are lower then your highest roosting bar. Ohh the egg wait its so much fun.

3. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Songster

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    I just finished my exterior nest box and will probably use wood shavings. I lined the "floor" of the boxes with vinyl. I did read a good idea from a fellow BYC'er that lines their floor with cut-out cardboard and then the filler on top of that. Makes clean up SUPER easy - so I'm going to try that. I also have read that it's best to wait to put the boxes out about a week or so before they are looking like they're ready to lay - to prevent them from using it as a place to hang out! Good luck - I have one that turns 16 weeks tomorrow and she's showing ALL the signs that she's extremely close! Yeah!!! [​IMG]

4. dixiechick

dixiechick Songster

In the brooder, I use pine shavings. In the nesting box, we use pine needles.

5. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Songster

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I have tried straw,hay and shavings the hens kick it all out. Just lately I have used another BYCer idea. She used spanish moss from the trees. I tried it and so far they have left it in the nests. Its cheaper too.

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I use a dishpan and pine shavings. Every do often I remove the dishpan and flip up the shavings (like a chef does on TV). The breeze catches the feathers & dust, thereby "cleaning" the shavings. They rarely poop in there.

7. Pine Acres Peeps

Pine Acres Peeps Songster

May 24, 2009
    Citronelle, Alabama
    I steal some hay from my horses, they usually leave it alone. Somedays I have to stick it back in the nests, because some little nut refuses to sleep on the roosts. [​IMG]

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I use hay, it is cheaper and easier to get for me, I like it though and have never had any problems, 1 large round bale of wheat straw hay will last me all year long and I have 30 nest box holes to fill, Total cost per yr about $35.00.

AL

9. 6hotchicks

6hotchicks Hatching

Jun 9, 2009
    Casco, MI
    I have tried shredded paper / newspaper....just stay away from the shiny magazine / coupon pages....cheap and plentiful [​IMG]

10. I use Spainish Moss. They dont kick it out like they did the straw. And it is much softer. Just make sure to put it in the oven on 250* for about 15 minute first.(to kill any chiggars or mites)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: