What do you use in your nest? hay? straw? nesting pad? wood shavings?

kathyinmo

Nothing In Moderation
12 Years
May 14, 2009
(SW MO) Nevada, Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
What is best in the nest area? Hay or straw? My chicks are only 6 weeks old, when do I prepare nests? Do I wait until they are ready to lay, or just always have them there and available? Should I cover them, or leave them open? Thanks, Kathy

I would leave them closed until they are about 4 months old, I use shavings and dry leaves in mine. Make sure the nest boxes are lower then your highest roosting bar. Ohh the egg wait its so much fun.

I just finished my exterior nest box and will probably use wood shavings. I lined the "floor" of the boxes with vinyl. I did read a good idea from a fellow BYC'er that lines their floor with cut-out cardboard and then the filler on top of that. Makes clean up SUPER easy - so I'm going to try that. I also have read that it's best to wait to put the boxes out about a week or so before they are looking like they're ready to lay - to prevent them from using it as a place to hang out! Good luck - I have one that turns 16 weeks tomorrow and she's showing ALL the signs that she's extremely close! Yeah!!!
big_smile.png

I have tried straw,hay and shavings the hens kick it all out. Just lately I have used another BYCer idea. She used spanish moss from the trees. I tried it and so far they have left it in the nests. Its cheaper too.

I use a dishpan and pine shavings. Every do often I remove the dishpan and flip up the shavings (like a chef does on TV). The breeze catches the feathers & dust, thereby "cleaning" the shavings. They rarely poop in there.

I use hay, it is cheaper and easier to get for me, I like it though and have never had any problems, 1 large round bale of wheat straw hay will last me all year long and I have 30 nest box holes to fill, Total cost per yr about $35.00.

AL

Back
Top Bottom