1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you use to write on eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fshinggrl, Mar 30, 2011.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I see many different methods of marking eggs. What do you use that doesn't 'seep' through the egg? Dark? Light? (Eggs)

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I've never really gave it much thought be I use a majic marker. When i ordered eggs I have seen some using a pencil and some using a pen. With the Marker, it doesn't seem to affect the eggs for hatching because they still hatch. I would think as long as you don't wash them, they have a coating the protects them.. I don't wash my eggs when hatching.

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Just a simple pencil. I keep one in the coop, write the date and a code for breed, mating, etc. on the large end.
    Works for me.

Like today an egg from the Robert's strain spangled Orloff pen would be

3-30
    S-2 RSO

4. chickenfarmer17

chickenfarmer17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Preston County WV
    pencil anything else can seep through in least that is what i have heard

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Right there with mississippifarmboy. I use pencil to mark date layed and color of hen it came from.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'll go against the curve here and say that I use markers. I've yet to ever have problems with such, I've never seen evidence of it leaking through, I use artist-grade, non-toxic, and I write very small on them. I use markers primarily because my Marans eggs are too dark for someone to see pencil markings on.

7. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Use a pencil and lightly mark the eggs. Less chance of infection and seeping.

8. happydog

happydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Western NC
    I've been using a sharpie. Now I'm wondering how many eggs I've killed by using it! I thought it was harmless! Crap!!

9. Hi! A Sharpie Permanent Marker is perfectly safe to use for marking 'eggs for hatching'.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

10. thunderwagn

thunderwagn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Colorado
    I have hatched many eggs marked with Sharpie. Here's a double whammy for some...Most times even on washed eggs! [​IMG]
    Guess I just don't buy into the the whole "egg treated as a sacred object" bit.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by