What do you wish you'd done differently with your duck housing?

Pics

This is the coop I just built. Still finding things that need changing, but so far it's great and critter proof.
Can you tell what supplies you used and how bug it is?

My open-air duck pen, much modified, may work in the long term, but right off 1) the auto door is inadequate for Muscovy, (similar in size to Peking). I've so many issues with auto coop doors that I went for the most reliable hoping it'd be just big enough. Well, maybe the 'Run Chicken' door, at 8"x10" is, but these sensitive hen ducks need more than a door they can fit through. They balk at it clanking, its' lights blinking, get perturbed about touching its' sides as they waddle back forth, and most of all, they crowd each other going thru the door. So, they squabble, then just sit outside the doorway. Seems they'd do better if 2 at time could squeeze thru; (there's only 3 'em :rolleyes:). An Ador2 $329 turkey door is ordered, expect a review here later.

2) It's rational that properly erected electric poly rope would be a strong deterrent to predators around the coop. It is. There's also half inch hardware cloth on the ground and up 36" that critters would have to be in contact with and thus well-grounded in any break in attempt. The poly is strung at 5", 10", 15", 23", and 35". Alas, but they are ducks. Sweet dainty Spats stood outside the door and eyed a short bit of poly wire sticking out from a tie off. I thought, no. . . but she did. Her reaction made an impression on her duck sisters and me. Some days they'll stroll on in, but it'll be a long time before they'll trust the pen and reliably go in on their own.

If I could do it over again, I'd leave the charger off during the day until after they were closed in for the night. It'd work without the lower 5" poly as digging climbing is difficult. Be wary of electrification. [the pic is partially finished pen]

Attachments

• DuckPen.jpg
    DuckPen.jpg
    938.5 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom