what does a baby quail eat

MARISSCORALI

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 2, 2014
hello I have a few quail eggs in the incubator its day 15 and want to know what they eat
can they eat medicated chick starter food cause that's all I have right now
jumpy.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

They will need some Gamebird food. Something with about 26 to 28% protein. Regular chicken chick starter is not enough for quail babies. Make sure to crush the food for the first week and sprinkle it around the brooder feeder area on a paper towel so they can find the food. Tap with your finger at the food so they know to eat it. Quail babies are not all that smart and need some help to find food at first. Dip their beaks in the water that first day as well and use a chick waterer or put marbles or small stones in a regular water font. Quail can fall in very easily and drown.

Mountain Peeps left you with the link to our quail section for more help with your babies. Good luck and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about quail (never had any), but I they are certainly cute little birds. Definitely post on our quail link that Mountain Peeps has left with you, and take advantage of our quail experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your quail hatch.

Back
Top Bottom