what does a broody he look like?

Jkioneil

Songster
13 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Oregon
people always talk about their hens going broody but i don't know what to look for. what does it look like what do they do? how do you stop it and are there breeds that are more likely to do so than others? thanks

They stay on the nest 24/7.

They growl at you when you come in.

They are all clucky when they get of the nest to eat, drink and poop.

They make babies (with fertile eggs) unless you take them off of the nest and put them in a wire bottomed cage for a few days.

Here are the results if you don't...
10376_dsc_0865.jpg

They appear to have lost their minds! Seriously though, they'll sit on eggs or in a nest box and look kinda scrunched down. If you put fertilized eggs under them, you'll get chicks in about 21 days. If you don't want your hen to be broody, you can put her in a pen (like a dog kennel) up off the ground so that air can get to their hind end; helps cool her off. Buff Orpingtons are a very broody breed and make great mamas. We've got one broody sex link on 8 eggs now and she drew blood on DH when he wanted to inspect the eggs. What was he thinking!

Mine did all the above, except draw blood,. When she did get up each day, she sort of went into fast forward mode, running around eating, drinking, and "eliminating" ... a whole day's worth in about 5 minutes time
lau.gif
hilarious to watch!

OH MY! Sound like it will be pretty hard to miss. I have one Buff orpington i guess when it i time i will let her be the mom! Sounds kinda funny but i hope they dont draw blood! so if they kinda attack when you get close how the heck do you move them without injury?

Back
Top Bottom