what does angel wing look like in early stages?

TLWR

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 10, 2010
southern AL
Anybody have pics. My quick google showed mostly adult and what I found of ducklings were tiny pics I could see nothing in.

So pics or an explanation of what I'd be seeing please :)

Pics - both sides, but was easier to get clear pics of the right side since Jasmine was snoozing against Dill's left side.

Is this the start of angel wing and I need to wrap Dill up?

My duckling looked very similar to this on her left wing and I was worried too. By the time she was 3 weeks old, the feather shafts were growing straight up and were very prominent. But then at times they would lay flat to her body, only to stick up a few hours later. I took her to the vet and he didn't seem concerned but wrapped her anyway and gave her a shot of vitamin E and selenium. The wrap came off by the time I got her home. Today (she is just over 4 weeks old) she looks fine.

Since I'm new to ducks, I'll take my vet's word that it is likely only a problem if the wing starts turning out away from the body, but I'd like to hear others' opinions. Photos of early angel wing would be helpful. I couldn't find any either. Good luck Dill!

It is the end tip of the wing. On Jas, that part of the wing is tucked under the rest of the wing. On Dill, it is below the rest of the wing. The wing feathers are only just starting to come in, so it doesn't seem that would be causing it to droop a bit.
I still can't really tell if the end digit is turning up/out or not.

If it is the start of angel wing, I'd like to wrap and nip it now, but if not, my luck in keeping a duck wrapped is not so great...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was hoping for some insight, too. Wob's primary feathers are just coming in, but they stick straight up way out of her contour feathers. My hubby's gone and I have to work, so I can't get her to see her vet (mine only treats kitties and doggies).

Could this be the beginnings of angel wing, or is it common for early blood feathers to stick straight up like this? (I'm wearing shorts in the photo, sorry in advance!)

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was hoping for some insight, too. Wob's primary feathers are just coming in, but they stick straight up way out of her contour feathers. My hubby's gone and I have to work, so I can't get her to see her vet (mine only treats kitties and doggies).

Could this be the beginnings of angel wing, or is it common for early blood feathers to stick straight up like this? (I'm wearing shorts in the photo, sorry in advance!)

Did she end up fine? I have two mallards I am rehabing and their wings just started this. I was hoping its normal growth too. But can't find much online. I have cut back on protein just incase.

Back
Top Bottom