What does foamy poop mean?

EurekaSouth

Songster
13 Years
Mar 8, 2007
North Northern California
Hi all!! I'm here after a long absence and then lurking for a while.

My 5 hens have had foamy poops for about a week. They eat LOTS of fresh veggies, 7% calcium egg pellets, their own egg shells back, worms, slugs, and bugs and are otherwise very healthy. ???

I treated for worms, no improvement. Treated for coccidia, overnight improvement. People on here will insist if there's no blood, it isn't coccidia, but I read up on several sites, including scientific papers, and there are over 20 different species of coccidia that affect chickens, and some are milder than others. My chicmens had foamy diarrhea. I had one that got so dehydrated he almost died, had to be fed fluid froma dropper for a day. But overnight they were backto normal after putting Corid in their water the evening before. I'm looking into a better treatment, though, because Corid works by blocking one of the b vitamins, doesn't sound very healthy long term. I was on here looking to see what else is recommended specifically for chickens. Most of what I've found just says sulfa drugs, not very specific.

So if you can't afford to have a fecal done by a vet,and it isn't worms, it might be coccidia,despite no blood in the diarrhea.

Last edited:
Quote:
Corid is the treatment of choice for cocci. You can use sulmet, but it only treats 2 types of cocci. Could you please post the link as to where there are 20 types of cocci that chickens can get, for our information?

Last edited:
Quote:
Corid is the treatment of choice for cocci. You can use sulmet, but it only treats 2 types of cocci. Could you please post the link as to where there are 20 types of cocci that chickens can get, for our information?

Thanks for the info on Corid! I didn't realize that it was the best, I thought it was just the most common. I'll try to find that link and post back.
smile.png
I think it was on a state's Ag site, don't remember where. I think this is it. http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex4616 So so sorry, looks like I got my numbers confused, I hate it when I do that! I think another site said there are over 20 types of coccidia, but only about 10 that affect poultry! Whoops! But still not all cause bloody diarrhea. Some types cause whitish watery diarrhea and that's what mine had. It started out as occasional foamy brown, getting worse and more frequent, but it was white and watery when they were sickest. I have to assume it was in fact coccidia b/c of how quickly they got better after starting Corid. I should have found a way to do a fecal, but we don't have a vet. Do you know if vets who don't routinely see any of your animals will do a fecal?

Back
Top Bottom