Status
Not open for further replies.

TucsonAZ

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 15, 2011
I asked a simple question on here and got a response of:

"This issue has been addressed many times as a GFM PPM feature."

I am thankful for the response I think, even more so if it addresses the issue but I have no clue what GFM or PPM are or mean :/ Can anybody translate this into layman's terms please?

Last edited:
I asked a simple question on here and got a response of:

"This issue has been addressed many times as a GFM PPM feature."

I am thankful for the response I think, even more so if it addresses the issue but I have no clue what GFM or PPM are or mean :/ Can anybody translate this into layman's terms please?

Golden feather member, platinum poultry member.. essentially the paid memberships to the forum. =)

Ahhhh, so I have to pay $60 a year to have 100 posts per page? Well, I guess BYC has gotten too big for it's britches or something, time for me to find a new chicken forum. I wish sites would let you know what they intend to do before investing the time into making them big enough to be able to do it.

why do you NEED 100 posts per page? I don't see that they are unreasonable or demanding anything. THe
site seems fine to me without paid membership. I don't personally need what GFM or PPM offers, I think the site offers quite a lot without it!

The majority of sites offer that free of charge with the standard forum and charge for things like posting in the classifieds and so on though most are able to make what they need from advertising which is fine with me. I am a member on Audiokarma and have no troubles paying their $20 a year for a premium membership to post in their classified section and so on however $20 a year is a VERY fair price to ask and the features you gain are great.

I have never seen a site make this type of move and have it be a good thing for the people that put 100,000s of hours into making the site a known entity. It tends to be profit driven at that point and not community or member driven. Remember, the site is profiting from the knowledge of it's members and without that there is no site. Having to pay $60 a year for something as simple as being able to see 100 posts per page is an INSANE idea when you think of how much free knowledge and information I am providing.

I guess I'm simply saying there are and always will be sites where that mutual exchange is more appreciated and I don't have to pay $60 a year for simple features when I am the one offering the knowledge members are coming to the site to exchange.

why do you NEED 100 posts per page? I don't see that they are unreasonable or demanding anything. THe
site seems fine to me without paid membership. I don't personally need what GFM or PPM offers, I think the site offers quite a lot without it!

You are right, really.
$60. is alot of money. On the old platform, it was free to choose how many posts you preferred to view on each page. I find this upsetting, to have to pay to view a certain number of posts. To have to keep loading more and more pages is time consuming, and certainly limits one's time here. Yes, I have the option of changing it currently, because I am Platinum. I just can't justify paying that much money for that reason. I became Platinum only to increase my photo storage. Now, that is free, so I see no need for it.

These issues have been discussed, over and over and over, in a number of other threads since converting.

There were tradeoffs in this changeover. Some things that cost before are for everyone now, such as unlimited PM's and images, making polls, etc. Other things that were free before are part of a paid membership now. There is no such thing as a perfect platform.

OP, I apologize for the GFM/PPM abbreviation in that answer; they are generally pretty familiar terms around BYC.

And just as one person's opinion, I don't even like the 100 posts pages, I use 10 by preference. Too confusing, too hard to slip up while scrolling, too easy to lose my place. Not to mention the page loads more slowly. I didn't even realize we had this choice til peeps started talking about it after the conversion. I tried it for a few days and hated it.

It has been said before, if you are unhappy with your GFM or PPM since the conversion, simply request a pro rated refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom