What does it cost per chicken to raise meat birds from chick to table?

billmac

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
This has probably been asked a million times, but what, in your experience, is the per bird cost of raising them for the table? assuming they can be free-ranged and also supplemented with grain. We're looking at Freedom Rangers and raising them to the approximately 5 lb range. They don't have to be fattened quickly as far as we are concerned.

Thanks,

Bill

This has probably been asked a million times, but what, in your experience, is the per bird cost of raising them for the table? assuming they can be free-ranged and also supplemented with grain. We're looking at Freedom Rangers and raising them to the approximately 5 lb range. They don't have to be fattened quickly as far as we are concerned.

Thanks,

Bill
when I tried that I had to keep track so I could be making a profit for my business and people were wanting free range meat chickens so I tried that and I came out with around 7$ a chicken but with raising broilers in a barn just on feed came out to around 10$ a bird and it was easier to sell the broilers because they were bigger.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/318364/ranger-grow-out-journals

The second post he edited to show feed consumption and weights. With a little math and adding cost of chicks you'll know what to expect. There was a recent post where all cost was broken down but they also paid for the processing so ended up near $3.80/lbs.

Keep in mind Freedom Ranger is a trademark name but any red broiler sold at the various hatcheries is the same thing and can be found cheaper with a different name.

Back
Top Bottom