what does it mean when a chicken flys at you for no reason?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lionpearl, Aug 15, 2008.

1. lionpearl

lionpearl Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2008
    I am assuming it is the same chicken but a couple of times I have had a chicken for no reason come flying straight at me. Doesn't hit me or anything but is this aggression? I also noticed today the rooster bumped her or whatever like he was telling her to knock it off after she did that.. am I way off base , has any one else experienced this? Thanks. We didn't realize we had a rooster until recently ugh, could be good though.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Are they young and just trying out their wings?

3. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Do you bring her treats? Maybe she is just very happy to see you! [​IMG]

4. lionpearl

lionpearl Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2008
    Yes they are relativly young, haven't started laying yet. I guess I could have misjudged. I would be happy if they were happy to see me, lol. I have started bringing them treats. The rooster definitly seemed to put her in her place though by bumping her or whatever. It is interesting to watch what they do, have to figure it all out. Watching other animals is fascinating to me, trying to figure them out. Thanks.

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    A few of my hens used to try and fly up to my chest when they were pre-egg age.
    It was all about the treats. Now they just jump up on me when I sit down.

6. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    A couple of my hens fly onto my shoulder and perch. Kinda cool..........if your not dressed up to go out!!

Maybe she just LOVES you. [​IMG]

7. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    I think you have a sweety. there's a momma's peep in every bunch

8. Silly Chickens

Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

If when I go out to see to see my chickens I don't bend down to pet and hold them, I have one that will fly at my belly...like...hey, what's going on? I want the pets, cuddles & love lady!

9. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sounds like you may be the treat lady! Mine come running and flying at me like crazy if they see I have something in my hand.

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My little 12 week old silver laced wyandotte does that all the time. She never hurts anyone but just seems to like to fly at people. LOL she is the top of the pecking order so that may have something to do with it. My roo is even picked on by her. He is such a SWEET SWEET cochin roo! LOVE HIM!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by