What does it physically feel like to cut a chickens head off?

I use a pair of heavy kitchen shears. Imagine cutting through a thick piece of cardboard twice - like scissors open to close twice, that's about how long it takes if you really commit. It's less than a count of three from first cut to completely removing the head.

I think that's the most succinct and accurate description I could give.

:goodpost:

An excellent description of how it feels.

Asked my partner who helps with butchering without reading my post to him.

He described it as "It's kind of weird, like cutting through thick cardboard that's laminated on just one side, because on one blade it's catching in the fibers and on the other the blade is just sliding around. But it's about as difficult as cutting through really thick corrugated cardboard boxes."

So I guess feeling like you're cutting through thick cardboard gets close.

Thank you! The feathers are definitely something I'm concerned about. I don't want to be mid-cut and get hung up on some feathers. Do the feathers have to be moved for the ax or is that not necessary? I'm also wondering, how much force does it take to kill a chicken with an ax? I know it takes a good amount of force, but I am not that strong at all, so I'm wondering if it might be too hard for me or if it's easy enough anyone can really do it?

I’m an itty bitty person (5’0”) and have decapitated chickens and ducks using a kitchen cleaver without any strength issues. Like @svh said, don’t hesitate. Make your cut with confidence. Afterwards it’s ok to need some deep breaths. And remember even if you don’t have anybody physically there with you for moral support, we’re here for you.

What does it physically feel like? That's hard for me to answer. Mentally I don't enjoy it, but it's something I feel I need to do so I do it. I raise chickens for meat, if I didn't eat them I wouldn't have chickens and I can't eat them without killing them. So that is part of it. But I've also had to kill a baby chick and a grown hen to put them out of their misery, nothing to do with eating them. For the chick I used poultry shears, the adult was the hatchet and stump. Once I had to kill a pet cat that was run over. That really was not pleasant. The best cat we ever had. I made my wife go inside so she couldn't watch. I'll not talk about that one.

I use the hatchet and stump method for chickens. There are some tricks that make it more sure for me. I cut into the wood grain, not across it, so the blade sinks in. You get a cleaner cut that way. If you cut across the grain if the wood is hard the blade can bounce back, not always a clean kill. I drive two big nails in to form a Vee to hold the head so I have a stationary target. Physically I really don't notice going through the neck. I just feel it sinking into the wood. The mental part is harder for me.

Ditto Dat!!

I use the broomstick method of CD for euthanizing a bird I'm not going to eat.
Cervical Dislocation is shown in this video at about 1:00,
Click the 'Watch this video on YouTube'
it's the only CD video I've found that doesn't remove the head.

-Notice the slight divot in the ground under the stick and neck, this will keep the bird from being choked.
-Notice that she slowly stretches out the neck and legs before giving the short sharp jerk that breaks the neck close to the skull, this is key to success IMO.

I've found this technique to be very effective.
Thank you for providing a video! That does look easy and effective, maybe even easier than cutting it off. But the professionals always make it look easy lol. How long did it take you to do it right?

I used the broomstick method to dispatch chickens. It may take a few tries to get it right, but I took comfort in the thought that after the first try the bird was unconscious.

The disconcerting thing is the intense flapping afterward. That bothered me less once I realized that the quicker and cleaner the severing of the spinal cord was the more intense the flapping was -- not the bird fighting for life but a signal that I had done the kill as mercifully as it could be done.
That's relieving that there's room for mistakes. And yeah, after watching aart's video that they shared, the flapping is a bit unsettling, especially with the head still attached. It's comforting to know that that is actually a positive sign

I use a pair of heavy kitchen shears. Imagine cutting through a thick piece of cardboard twice - like scissors open to close twice, that's about how long it takes if you really commit. It's less than a count of three from first cut to completely removing the head.

The first cut is like cutting through thick stretchy fabric, the second is like cutting through an old (weak) bug-eaten stick. That's because the first is going to get through the skin and soft tissue, and when making this cut I find it's better to let the scissors slide along to utilize the sharp blades more. The second cut requires a little bit more umph because you are going through bone and tendon but it's not super hard to do and there's a crunchy sound and feeling.

And then it's done. And the chicken kicks and shakes for a couple minutes as it bleeds out.

I think that's the most succinct and accurate description I could give.
That's a really good description, thank you!

I’m an itty bitty person (5’0”) and have decapitated chickens and ducks using a kitchen cleaver without any strength issues. Like @svh said, don’t hesitate. Make your cut with confidence. Afterwards it’s ok to need some deep breaths. And remember even if you don’t have anybody physically there with you for moral support, we’re here for you.
Aw thank you! It's definitely going to be hard emotionally when the time comes. I view my chickens as pets, more or less. I hand raised them from chicks, given them all names, and really care for them. But when I got them I knew that part of being a responsible chicken owner is knowing when one has had enough. I'm grateful that there are people here who know what that's like and can offer support if I need it. Most other people would look at me like a crazy person because it's just a chicken 🤣

Back
Top Bottom