What does it physically feel like to cut a chickens head off?

I don't like hands on. I shoot them in the head, The brain instantly shuts down, they don't know what hit them.
That's how DH does it. It's very hard for him to do & that's what he feels best with, so that's what he does. We have done the cone & tried CD & that didn't go well so he prefers a bullet.

That's how DH does it. It's very hard for him to do & that's what he feels best with, so that's what he does. We have done the cone & tried CD & that didn't go well so he prefers a bullet.

That’s also how I do it. I shoot them in the brain with a pellet gun. Either from a distance or if after dark, I pull them from the roost, hang them upside down, and shoot them at point blank range.

I don’t want to unsettle anyone, but I’m not convinced they instantly cease to be conscious after a clean decapitation. Growing up it was normal for us to eat turtles and tortoises and I’ve seen many a turtle and tortoise head continue to act alive after decapitation. I always thought it was nerves but I’ve seen some studies that indicate that reptiles probably have living brain activity a while after decapitation. At least several seconds to a few minutes. I pity anyone or anything that’s awake for even a few seconds after decapitation. I’d rather just destroy the brain and ensure the destruction of the consciousness.

I can remember as a kid seeing the chickens feet strung up on the clothes line hanging upside down in a row and the neighbor going down the row slicing necks and letting them bleed out hanging there flopping around and that's just not appealing at all, One is done is allot less stressful for me and the chicken!

thanks for that video @aart If I ever have to cull a chicken again, then I am going to use the broomstick method. It seems so much cleaner and easier than chopping and missing.

Up to now I've got my son in law to do it as he was raised on a farm.

thanks for that video @aart If I ever have to cull a chicken again, then I am going to use the broomstick method. It seems so much cleaner and easier than chopping and missing.

Up to now I've got my son in law to do it as he was raised on a farm.
Wouldn't trust myself with a gun or a hatchet...
...it's either the slit neck in the cone(for meat) or the broomstick.

It is tricky shooting them while they’re alive running around. I haven’t had a bad shot yet but I’m also an experienced marksman on small animal brain shots. If catching and hanging them upside down, its easy peezy to stick the barrel right on the brain and shoot.

Back
Top Bottom