What does it physically feel like to cut a chickens head off?

It may be helpful to watch Justin Rhodes videos on YT - very calm and respectful process either using a cone or string up without a cone and slitting jugular - you may need to sign up your email with him to see the actual entire process videos on his own site since YT frowns on any kind of animal harvesting. I would use a cone as the wing flapping is minimized - you might want secure (tie or bungee) legs even if using cone just in case there is kicking. You don't want to get scratched in the eyes or face yourself especially if you are doing this for first without help. You can use a traffic cone or a specialized metal cone nailed up to wall.

You know, I wonder if there is something out there that is similar to a huge pair of cat nail clippers. 2 half circle blades that you could wrap fully around the neck but loosly to hold the head and neck still, then both hands on the handles to quickly lop it off.
PVC cutters?

Bleed out for meat slaughter.
Don't need the blood mess if I'm not going to eat the bird killed, so broomstick.

I thought that I got a very good bleed out into the loose skin of the neck with the broomstick method. I didn't find any clots in the meat or any other indication of a poor bleed.

I do intend to try the kill cone method in the future though.

You know, I wonder if there is something out there that is similar to a huge pair of cat nail clippers. 2 half circle blades that you could wrap fully around the neck but loosly to hold the head and neck still, then both hands on the handles to quickly lop it off.

Most tree cutting pruners have those curved blades that tend to make things shoot out of the end if you don't hold it firm enough.
What you want is a good old fashioned guillotine!

I thought that I got a very good bleed out into the loose skin of the neck with the broomstick method. I didn't find any clots in the meat or any other indication of a poor bleed.

I do intend to try the kill cone method in the future though.
Wouldn't you hang it and slit the throat after it was dead via the broomstick anyway to bleed it out?

Not that I'm ever going to do this, but theoretically speaking.

I am just not comfortable with killing an animal by exsanguination. It's not the way I would want to die. It is too slow.

I had a terrible, young cockerel that I had finally had it with. And even though I didn’t want to be “the killer,” I knew it was my responsibility. I searched and searched until I found just the way I thought would be easier for me.

I have used this method many, many times over with excellent results each time. There is no flapping as I have the bird wrapped in a towel and continue to hold it until all movement has subsided. I even use this on my sick girls that I know I’m going to necropsy.

There is one thing I add to this procedure and that is I “pith” after cutting the juggler. Pithing simply means to pierce the brain. I don’t know if it’s absolutely necessary, but I do it. John Suscovich explains it in detail.

When I have several cockerels to slaughter (ones that I haven’t had any attachment to) I use the kill cone. This just allows me more time to do other things in the butchering process besides holding the bird while it bleeds out. The cone securely holds the bird.

Regardless of which method I use it is not fun, but it’s a job that I must do. You must commit 100% to the job at hand...no backing out. And yes, I do part the feathers before I place the knife to the neck.

Most tree cutting pruners have those curved blades that tend to make things shoot out of the end if you don't hold it firm enough.
500 MCM Cable cutters or 2/0 wire cutters

I have a kid who helps with out meat chickens on butcher day and he uses a duck "key" to brain the chickens first, then he quickly cuts the jug and carotid to drain the chickens out. Seems to work out well, the flapping seems to be a lot less at least.

Back
Top Bottom