What does the squat and wing spread mean?

KCNC06

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Central NC
My EE (Hawkface - my avatar pic) has started this behavior over the past couple weeks. Whenever I get close to her, or when she comes up to me, she squats down and spreads her wings out a little. Nothing else really changes, she keeps talking the way she had been, she's just squatted down with her wings puffed out. I usually pick her up or pet her when she does this since I'm not really sure what it is that she wants or expects me to do, and she doesn't seem at all bothered when I pet her or pick her up. When I hold her she just keeps on talking, or leans her head against me and closes her eyes. Definitely doesn't seem like the way someone would act if they didn't want to be held. At the same time, it seems a little odd. I'm also not sure why she's just started this the past few weeks. I think someone suggested to me in another post that you can tell which hens are laying by holding your hand over their backs...but we haven't seen any EE eggs around anywhere. The other three girls that are laying now all lay their eggs in the chicken house (the Barred Rock that laid her first egg on Saturday can't quite figure out how to get into the nest loft yet, so she laid hers on the floor in their house today). I can't imagine why Hawkface would be hiding her nest/eggs off in the woods somewhere if everyone else is laying theirs in the house.

I think this is typical behavior. My understanding is this is a sign of submission, and maybe something they would do for a rooster. All of my girls do this. I also understand it's a sign of maturity, so maybe they're getting close to laying?

My Golden Wyandottes do the same thing. The behavior was addressed on another chicken newsletter I get that it is a sign of submission. Noting is wrong with the girl! I do the same thing with mine - that I pet them and tell them to go on. What a great sign of respect - makes you feel good!

I do like it, mostly I like that she'll come up to me like this and let me pick her up. I never would have guessed that chickens could be such sweet and fun pets. Now I find myself looking forward to nice weather (like we're having the past few days - finally back into the 60's!!) so I can go out to play with the chickens.
smile.png

I guess I can see it as a sign of maturity also, my Leghorn wasn't interested in coming anywhere near us until right around when she started laying. When I would go hand feed the others, she wouldn't come anywhere near me she'd stand about three feet away and wait for me to toss crickets to her. Now she'll come right up and take the crickets from me. She even comes running from across the yard when she sees me come out. Too cute!

Oh gross!! That's a terribly disturbing thought.
smile.png

Now a new concern...my hens aren't going to go getting all...weird and randy are they? We went through that last Spring with our snake. Never would have guessed that a male snake would get all...weird just because he was "mature". He got so weird that I was tempted to put a piece of fish tank air hose in his cage....ya' know...because I wasn't about to buy him a girlfriend.
smile.png
Luckily he got over it.

Quote:
They will be just fine, LOL!
Just give them a scratch on the back when they do that for you, if you do not have a rooster to keep them happy.
Scratching them, will ensure that they know you are the Alpha.

My EE has just started to do this - and I'm hoping it means I'll be getting eggs from her soon!

I imagine yours is about to lay - or perhaps she lays a brown egg which I've heard is possible for EEs and it's mixed in with the others?

Back
Top Bottom