what does this mean?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Oct 25, 2011.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    ok, what does it mean (if anything) if a brown egg is lightly specked with white? what is the difference in a barred rock egg and a buff orpington egg? they both are brown.

2. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey there. I have a barred rock that lays light brown that are often speckled with brown, a Wyandotte that's eggs have little bumps all over them, and our BO lays darker brown eggs that have little wrinkles at the narrow end. Don't have any idea why our hens lay eggs that are "imperfect". I like to think of it as like the organic vegetables I produce, "the imperfections" just mean it was raised naturally. If the hen is healthy, don't worry about imperfections and enjoy! [​IMG]

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I have 3 buff orpingtons. One lays an egg speckled in white, one lays an egg with tan "egg bits" on it, and one lays an egg with a "ring" around it. It's as though the egg starts out one size and halfway through ends up a bit smaller.

Just means they're individuals, I suppose.

4. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    My understanding is that egg shells are two colors: white and blue. Brown eggs have white shells that are "painted" with brown at the end of the egg laying process. Sometimes this brown "paint" doesn't get evenly distributed so you see the white shell coming through the brown. I have mostly "brown" egg layers, but all of their eggs, at least by breed, are different from one another. My Golden Comet eggs look like your typical store bought brown eggs, my Cherry Eggers are much lighter, almost like coffee with a lot of cream, and my Cuckoo Marans eggs are darker, more orange even, though I had hoped they would be really dark.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It doesn't mean anything except that they're young girls and putting some excess calcium bits on their eggs. It's perfectly normal and in most cases will stop as they get older.

Buff Orpington and Barred Rock eggs are practically the same. Both are supposed to be a brown color, but vary a lot in most cases, especially hatchery birds.

6. dantodd

dantodd Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    San Carlos, CA
    The brown is an applied color over a white shell. If you have white speckles it can be white showing through or it could be calcium deposits which would be sort of like grains of sand on the outside of the egg which you can scratch off with your fingernail. The ,past likely cause though is just a heavy bloom layer. Does the white wipe off with warm water leaving brown behind? If so, it's just heavy bloom.

7. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Quote:Wrinkles I've heard can be due to respiratory problems. Have you heard this?

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:What she said.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by