1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What does this poop mean?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peep-Chicken, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Crowing 5 Years

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    i have a lethargic hen. She’s not too interested in eating, but will nibble, and is just slow.

Attached Files:

2. micstrachan

micstrachan Crowing Premium Member

I think it just means she’s not eating enough. What are her other symptoms? Is she losing body condition? You can tell by feeling her breast muscle. If she swollen at all in her belly… beneath her vent in between her legs? Is her crop functioning properly… emptying overnight? Is she a laying hen? If so, when was the last time she laid eggs? How old is she? Could she be heading into molt?

Edited to fix a (humorous) spelling error.

3. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Crowing 5 Years

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    She feels skinnier than she should be. She does feel bloated in the abdomen. Her crop empties, but she doesn’t eat very much. She’s over 3 years old, a Swedish flower hen I hatched myself. I’m really not sure when she last laid. Her eggs look a lot like one of my other hen’s.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend that you worm her with safeguard liquid goat wormer or valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Also worm your other birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: