What does this quack mean?

PekinMama

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2020
Hello duck experts!
One of my Pekins makes a “guck-guck-guck” noise when she’s walking away from or toward her sisters. Anyone know what this means? I tried to upload video, but that doesn’t seem to be allowed.

I’m so curious about that noise, which is different from her demanding quack if they’ve run out of pellets or haven’t seen me in awhile. Also different from the high-pitched peeping they make when really excited (usually when they get grubs).

I think you may be referring to the bossy "Cluck-cluck-cluck" our girls do when they are sassing each other. If so, it's a pecking order. Let me see if I can find a video.
My alpha hen makes that 'cuck cuck cuck' right behind the biggest drake until he gets tired of the noise and chases her off! 😁

I can't find any vids of our girls clucking each other (I'll try to remember to film one tonight). Are you talking about the way Amelia is sassing Angus at the start of this video? The "cluck-cluck-cluck" and the side-to-side head action is pretty similar.

Yes, similar. The one who does it really moves her bill a lot while making that noise. I will try to setup an account to load it to YouTube. Thank you for your replies!!

Back
Top Bottom