What does your duck house look like?

just like this but without the run. it's inside of a pen.

12425_dollhouse_coop_with_run.jpg

12425_leghorns_breeder_coop_wmkd.jpg

All the duck houses are nice, I will have to post one of mine some time!

mberry222

What kind of rooster do you have?
My neighbor just got one that looks like the one in the second pic, but I don't know what kind it is to tell him what it is!

The rooster is an Americana. He is now in a pen because he became very aggresive when you would get around the ducks. Hope your neighbor has better luck.

Quote:
Yes, except ducks don't need anything quite as elaborate as chickens do (roosts, next boxes, etc.) I'm working on converting my little 4'x4' duck pen into a chicken coop, and it's a LOT of work!
smile.png

I've been totally unsuccessful at convincing the ducks to move from the edge of the pond into the coop at night. They won't lay inside the house, so I have to hunt for the eggs everyday, and try to get to them before the crows so. Luckily my husband agreed to chickens too, so the chickens lay more reliably all year and in the nest boxes where the eggs are easy to find.

We lost two ducks and two chickens in a two week period when we were away last summer. There was a bobcat in the neighborhood for a month or so, but it seems to have moved on. The ducks live outside all of the time, and the chickens have access to the great outdoors in daylight hours. We haven't fenced the property yet (five acres - $$$) and I understand that more losses may be inevitable, but I'm hoping our good luck will hold and that we'll be able to fence before too long.

Our Pekins do now sleep and lay in their duck house (picture below) but it took one month of cornering and physically putting them in it at night followed by one month of nightly herding them in it before they learnt to do it themselves...but it was worth the effort as e lost two of our six last Autumn, I think to coyotes, but am not sure - something heavy enough to bend the fence post and agile enough to get back over a 3 foot fence while holding onto a struggling full grown Pekin...

Ithacanancy...is that Ithaca as in Ithaca, NY??

Oops...forgot the photos!
roll.png

I made it out of leftover wood I had lying around so it really only cost me about $10 for hinges and the metal bit on the top.
Funny, it looks better in the pictures...can't see all the wonky carpentry
lol.png

The back opens up as two big (and wonky) doors to make it easy to clean out.

DSC09915.jpg

DSC09917.jpg

We have 7 new Khaki Campbell ducklings, just starting to feather out. Still have to build them a house, so
thanks for all of the ideas! Right now we have them in an A-frame tractor, moving it everyday. They are a
lot messier than chickens! LOL
IthacaNancy, I'm nearby, in Catharine - we hear coyotes at night, too.
Have heard there are coon, foxes & skunks, but haven't seen any yet.
BOBCAT? Now you've got me worried!!! EEEEK!

Back
Top Bottom