What Dog Breed Should I Get?

Herding is modified prey drive and they key word is modified. Modified over many years and hundreds of generations. The intensity of the drive can be selected both for and against by breeders. Some breeds herd out of a sense of bossiness or enforcing the rules. One of the reasons certain breeds are called beta dogs. YOU make the rules. They enforce them. Fascinating reading and first hand learning experience if you read up on these breeds or have the fortune to ever own one. There's a definite difference in working style.

more and more you seem to be pointing towards a poodle ;)

Porties (portuguese water dog), various terriers, and similar breeds are also a possibility. Terriers can do and enjoy agility though some are more independent and prefer to make their own course instead of following directions.

It will depend greatly on what kind of dog person you are. Do you want a "smart dog" or an "obedient dog" Those can often be opposite things. Do you want a dog that works closely with people or do you want a more independent dog? Do you want a dog that always wants to be at your side, follows you room to room like a shadow or do you prefer a dog that is more than happy to chill out in the living room while you do your own thing.

I really would like a trainable dog that could keep me on my toes but is not disobedient. I would rather a people dog, as there is a big chance that eventually I would use him or her for therapy as well as dog sports. I kind of want a dog that will chill out and not raise heck because I am gone during the day, but will give me some love when I get home.

I think a Standard Poodle would be a good option for you, after reading through the thread. There have really been some astonishingly bad suggestions here though.

One thing I will say is that it seems like your current dog is "iffy" with other dogs. I would really encourage you to not leave the two dogs alone together when nobody is home. A small scuffle can escalate to horrific proportions if nobody is there to intervene. I have talked to many people who have come home to dead or severely injured dogs in these sort of situations.

A treeing walker coonhound. Best dog ever. I bought her off Craigslist for $20. She never wanders, she really does absolutely nothing wrong at all. Low shed too.

I have a german sheperd and a Lab.. My lab is a lap baby and won't leave my side for a second.. The shepard will herd the flock on walks. I recommend both. I do animal rescue and I would encourage rescue they somewhat temperment tested when adopted from reputable rescue.

Honestly, I think a mutt is the way to go. Almost always. Most breeds have health issues associated with overbreeding, and a mix alleviates that concern, to a degree. A good old fashioned "Heinz 57" can be readily adopted at many shelters as a puppy. You can then train it to suit your needs.

Back
Top Bottom