What dog breeds are right for me?

Pics

agold23

Songster
May 25, 2021
I lost my beloved Cricket 4 days ago when she was hit by a car and died shortly after due to internal bleeding. She was half Irish wolfhound, quarter lab and quarter mastiff at around 70lbs and 24” at the shoulder. She came from a bad home, we only had her for about 15 months and we got her at 2 years. She was obviously backyard bred, insanely dog reactive but was as smart as a whip. I’ve felt so empty and bored without her, we’d spend hours outside on our 4 acres together playing fetch or going for walks in the forest as well as I was very good at teaching her tricks. I have no intention of getting a dog anytime soon, I have barely accepted the shock of what had happened but I’m curious to see if I had to get another one, what breed would be right for me.

I work at a dog kennel so there are obviously breeds that are off my list: Huskies, any kind of doodle (and other curly haired dogs), border collies/aussies, bully breeds, german shepherds and dogs under 15 lbs.

I’m looking for a dog that is between 20-50lbs that has short/medium coat and doesn’t need to be groomed professionally. I would like an athletic dog who is able to keep up with me, I have time to spare and I’m able to stay outside every afternoon/evening for 60+ mins of exercise. I am knowledgeable about dog training and would like a dog that is intelligent and eager to learn, “biddable” breeds. Cricket was far from biddable and I would like to see the other side of that. We live in the country but we would take time with a puppy to be able to train in the city and suburbs. We will attend puppy training classes and I would like to participate in whatever sports suit the dog. A dog that is friendly to people and other dogs would be great too.

I did a few quizzes out of curiosity and they matched me with some spaniels, retrievers and small terriers. I’ve always enjoyed these groups of dogs so I’m not impartial to owning them. If anyone owns any of those breeds and would like to tell me the pros and cons of them, feel free!

Thank you in advance, this has been a really hard ordeal for me but I know Cricket would be thrilled for me to find another dog that I could provide an amazing life for.

I know in the far far future I will own another Irish wolfhound because they are such magnificent dogs.

I lost my beloved Cricket 4 days ago when she was hit by a car and died shortly after due to internal bleeding. She was half Irish wolfhound, quarter lab and quarter mastiff at around 70lbs and 24” at the shoulder. She came from a bad home, we only had her for about 15 months and we got her at 2 years. She was obviously backyard bred, insanely dog reactive but was as smart as a whip. I’ve felt so empty and bored without her, we’d spend hours outside on our 4 acres together playing fetch or going for walks in the forest as well as I was very good at teaching her tricks. I have no intention of getting a dog anytime soon, I have barely accepted the shock of what had happened but I’m curious to see if I had to get another one, what breed would be right for me.

I work at a dog kennel so there are obviously breeds that are off my list: Huskies, any kind of doodle (and other curly haired dogs), border collies/aussies, bully breeds, german shepherds and dogs under 15 lbs.

I’m looking for a dog that is between 20-50lbs that has short/medium coat and doesn’t need to be groomed professionally. I would like an athletic dog who is able to keep up with me, I have time to spare and I’m able to stay outside every afternoon/evening for 60+ mins of exercise. I am knowledgeable about dog training and would like a dog that is intelligent and eager to learn, “biddable” breeds. Cricket was far from biddable and I would like to see the other side of that. We live in the country but we would take time with a puppy to be able to train in the city and suburbs. We will attend puppy training classes and I would like to participate in whatever sports suit the dog. A dog that is friendly to people and other dogs would be great too.

I did a few quizzes out of curiosity and they matched me with some spaniels, retrievers and small terriers. I’ve always enjoyed these groups of dogs so I’m not impartial to owning them. If anyone owns any of those breeds and would like to tell me the pros and cons of them, feel free!

Thank you in advance, this has been a really hard ordeal for me but I know Cricket would be thrilled for me to find another dog that I could provide an amazing life for.

I know in the far far future I will own another Irish wolfhound because they are such magnificent dogs.
I'm very sorry :hugs I lost my beloved dog yesterday💕. I don't know about the weight (we have kg not lbs and I'm too lazy to google it). I had a rough collie he did have long fur but he did not shed and it was fine to groom him at home once or twice a week. He was not tgat type of dog that LOVED to learn but that was just his personlaity. It does not match much of your criteria. Sorry just wanted to share. They are truly amazing dogs. Mine loved jumping. He could jump obstacles twice the size of him!

I'm so sorry for your loss!
I think a Lab would be a great match. They are such easygoing, friendly dogs. They train wonderfully, and are very smart. They're also extremely athletic, and can keep up with any sort of activity you want to do with them.
But they have an off switch, unlike some breeds. If you tell them to settle down, or are unable to play with them for several days, they'll be just fine.
I honestly can't think of any cons. We've always had a lab in our household for my entire life and I just can't imagine my life without them. They are truly amazing dogs, and can be taught to do almost anything.
We have English labs which are on the larger side, 80-100 lbs, but the American ones are smaller, around 60 lbs. I like English better personally just for their looks, but American labs are just as good. My lab is an American.

I did a few quizzes out of curiosity and they matched me with some spaniels, retrievers and small terriers. I’ve always enjoyed these groups of dogs so I’m not impartial to own

I'm so sorry for the loss of your Cricket! I've owned several labradors and they would definitely meet all/most of your criteria. They are smart, eager to please, and have fairly low-maintenance coats. If you are looking for a smaller lab closer to 50lbs, look for a breeder of English labs, which are typically smaller than "American" style labs.

As you know, so much of a dog's personality is determined by training and human interaction, but breed still influences it too. My current dog is a mutt (foxhound/pit/Australian shepherd, see my coop link for photos) from the local shelter who would check all of your boxes! She is just under 40lbs and is the best-behaved dog I've ever had. One nice thing about a shelter dog is that you can often foster to adopt to see if they might be a good fit. It worked out well for us because we didn't want to deal with training a puppy right now.

Best of luck in your search; you will surely find the right pup.

look for a breeder of English labs, which are typically smaller than "American" style labs.
Was this a typo? English labs are way bigger than American labs.
Perhaps you're thinking of British labs?
I have been really unimpressed with British labs. They're too tiny to handle much hunting, and the ones I've been around don't even act like labs. They seem way dumber than either English or American. I'm not sure why but this is just what I've seen.

I am sorry for your loss. I have a variety of dogs, most are rescues. I have 2 terrier mixes and 2 pug mixes. All are intelligent, playful and attentive. My beloved Navi is my fishing buddy and loves to relax in the shade while watching my bobber. Please don't dismiss mixed breeds during your future search for a companion. Attached is a picture of Navi in her fishing chair.

Attachments

• 20200425_175227.jpg
    20200425_175227.jpg
    918.5 KB · Views: 5
Rest your heart until you're not in a desperate-for-a-companion mindset (to avoid compromises and settling for a suboptimal buddy) then visit shelters. Or stop to help a stray on the side of the highway. Your next dog will choose you, and it will be a great dog regardless of breed or mix.
Yes I know, this is all out of curiosity. Shelters and rehoming are #1 on our list, all of my animals have been rehomed to us: our 2 stray to vet cats, Cricket was rehomed to us and even my late bearded dragon was rehomed to us by my cousin. They really do choose us and I am ever so privileged to be able to have Cricket in my life so it’s hard to even grasp the fact that she’s gone. I just want another animal to be able to have adventures with but I have no intention of getting any more animals anytime soon.

I honestly can't think of any cons.
I suppose a pure-bred Labrador Retriever from a very good breeder who does testing could be a good choice. But I've had a different experience with Labs.

I had a black Lab mix and she was a great dog with a wonderful personality, but she had health issues early in her life that led to a not-so-great quality of life. As with a lot of well-known and over-bred dog breeds, Labs are predisposed to health problems, including cruciate ligament degeneration and rupture, which is what my mix suffered. It's awful and we said no more Labs for us after that. Sadly, I think it's something you have to be prepared for if you get a Lab or Lab mix from a shelter/rescue or backyard breeder.

Back
Top Bottom