what don't chicks mix with adults

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ebertschic, Jan 12, 2014.

1. ebertschic

ebertschic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2013
    One of my hens hatched out 4 babies Nov 11 and has been a great mom. I never separated her and the babies from the rest of our flock. Since they hatched she's been with them and not the rest of the flock. She taught them to roost under her on the roosting bar, away from the birds, and stayed with them outside while the rest of the flock free ranges. All of the sudden, she's sleeping with the adults and free ranges with them, leaving her chicks. Why aren't the chicks, now 2 months old, staying with the rest of the flock? They sleep by themselves in the coop and aren't anywhere near the adults when free ranging. It seems odd to me since their mom is with the adults now, why aren't they?

Thanks,
    J

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    The hen has decided that they are old enough to be on their own now. The chicks have been taught by the others their place in the flock. This is how flock dynamics work. As they mature, they may mix with the rest, or they may become their own little flock.

3. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    This is actually quite common. I've introduced many different groups of chicks to my adult birds. They do tend to hang out in their group for a while, roosting by themselves, waiting to eat until the bigger girls have gone outside etc. Just give it some time and they will be running around the yard with the rest of the ladies (and guys if you have them). All of my former babies that I've introduced now fit right in with the rest. Good luck! [​IMG]

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    as the chicks get full sized, they fit better with the flock. Until then, they will be a little separate.

5. ebertschic

ebertschic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2013
    QUICK HELP!!!! My babies that keep to themselves - there are 4. 3 turned out to be roosters. I'm selling those 3 roosters tonight. Will the hen that's left be ok ? How would that work now if the rest of the group she was with is gone?

I'm getting rid of the roosters in an hour....any quick help would be great !!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by