What eats bones in my chicken coop?

QChickieMama

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 1, 2011
I harvested a pesky rabbit last night, butchered it, and offered the meat to my chickens and dogs. I left the neck-to-tail carcass in the chicken pen last night in case they could learn to eat the meat, etc.

I just went in the coop now and there's no carcass left. I only found the legs/feet. In another coop where I'd tossed in two of the legs, the legs had been dragged into the nest box up off the ground, picked clean and left there to entice ants. Isn't this weird?

What's living in my coops? Mice, for sure. But how many mice would it take to make an entire carcass disappear?

It wasn't just the chickens? They wouldn't actually eat the bones, but they could well scatter them far and wide
I hope the chickens ate it all. I mean, that'd be awesome and healthy for them!

But the entire length of the spine, ribcage, pelvis was intact. It filled a 12" feed bowl. All the innards were there.

I hope I'm freaked for nothing.

Chickens wouldn't eat bones, at least I hope since that can cause crop issues.
How predator proof is your coop?
It's mostly chain-link fencing with additional chicken wire up to 4' high. My chickens seem just fine, so whatever decimated the carcass didn't bother them at all. Mysterious. I guess they could've buried it?

In the future, I wouldn't offer carcasses inside your chicken area (unless they are absolutely Ft. Knox). You're telling predators where fresh meat is to be found with a variety of scents, some will stay in the soil for a while.

It was most likely a predator that ate the bones and dragged the carcass into a nest. He was satisfied with the menu this time, but what about when he comes back to his favorite new diner and finds nothing prepared?

Back
Top Bottom