What effect does LED lighting have on quail and other poultry?

CovidtimeQuail

Highly quailified
Nov 28, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Initially, I thought it was the gamebird starter. Then, I thought it might have been the 100 watt incandescent reptile light that caused my birds to mature faster and grow bigger. Now, I'm wondering if it is the red (and later added, white) LED lights that have an effect on their growth. Here is a picture of my 2-week old quail.

2-week-old quail.png

They're huge. They've completely feathered out, all of them. I did two things differently this hatching. One was switching out the chicken starter crumble for gamebird starter, and the second was lighting.

Tell me, for those using gamebird starter, is this a normal size for 2-week old quail?

I can't deny that good gamebird starter is a big component. I'm just wondering if lighting plays a part too. They're ridiculously large, nearly the size of what my first hatch was at 5 weeks. Strangely enough, they're really mellow too. That might be the red light, which I've only recently started using.

Anyhow, although they're only 2 weeks old, I'm turning off the light at night. I'm a little worried this is too much growth.

I can't deny that good gamebird starter is a big component. I'm just wondering if lighting plays a part too. They're ridiculously large, nearly the size of what my first hatch was at 5 weeks. Strangely enough, they're really mellow too. That might be the red light, which I've only recently started using.

Anyhow, although they're only 2 weeks old, I'm turning off the light at night. I'm a little worried this is too much growth.
The light also keeps them awake at night, perhaps? They still seem to sleep frequently but spend more time not in the dark, able to see their food and eat it.

Back
Top Bottom