What egg color is dominant?

Chirpy

Balderdash
15 Years
May 24, 2007
Colorado
I have a Silkie Roo (tinted eggs) and a Golden-laced Wyandotte Roo (brown eggs). I have two EE's who lay green eggs. What color will the eggs be from the above to Roos when mated to the EEs?

(I'm asking because I have a broody and I gave her two green eggs and others to hatch and have no way of knowing which Roo might be the daddy.)

(edited as I stand corrected on the color of Silkie eggs... since my Roo has never laid one I haven't seen one!
roll.png
)

Last edited:
My understanding:

Tinted coloring (your EE eggs) is dominant. But, that means that an EE may carry one dominant tinting gene and one recessive non-tinting gene and could pass either to an offspring. Tinting is through and through, inside and out.

Brown egg laying is not determined by a single gene, but a combination. The brown in eggshells is a coating that can actually be scrubbed off to a degree. The inside of a brown egg shell is white (or at least much closer to white than the outside). The mating of a white egg layer and a brown egg layer will likely result in a hen that lays a brown egg that is lighter than the brown egg laying parent.

Tinted brown eggs look greenish; tinted white eggs look blueish.

So, there is no way of being sure what color eggs your pullets will lay. I think that they will lay either brown or green, but that even if the silkie is the father of all the chicks some could lay green and some (light) brown.

Back
Top Bottom