What else can baby chicks eat with out access to grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Crickett B, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Crickett B

Crickett B Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    I have 6 - 8 week old EE's and 15 - 4 week old bantams that currently live in the house and are on medicated chick starter. I was curious as to what else they can eat without access to grit?
    Thanks for the help [​IMG]
    Crickett

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The way I understand it, without grit, you shouldn't feed them ANYTHING apart from chick crumbs. I never feed mine anything else for the first 6 weeks at least, just to be on the safe side. I figure they've got time enough to go find their own treats when they're all grown up and free ranging outside.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Why not just offer the grit? At 8 weeks the EE's are old enough to go outside anyway. Where you live, fine granite is quite likely available outdoors (if you can get at it under the snow.)

Lots of people mix a bit of chick starter with a bit of yogurt for a first treat. They shouldn't have any trouble with a small mount of something soft like watermelon without seeds, canteloupe, etc.

Have you seen the BYC treats chart?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

4. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:I agree...no other stuff than prepared feed is digestible without grit to assist the digestion. Gastrointestinal problems WILL arise. Good news is that fine grit is available very inexpensively at most stores in the pet section.

5. Crickett B

Crickett B Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Thank you for the responses. I will have to go purchase grit then. I wanted to feed them some scrambled eggs.

Crickett

6. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I never gave any of my chicks grit. I fed them scrambled eggs, beemoths, little pieces of chicken and lots of other stuff and they lived. [​IMG]

7. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Play sand was all I gave mine until they went outside at 5 weeks and then their run was playsand so that is what they used until I let them freerange. Now that it is winter they get grit free choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by