1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What else can I feed my duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by whitneyrae, May 16, 2011.

1. whitneyrae

whitneyrae New Egg

May 16, 2011
    I purchased my Pekin duckling the morning after Easter. It was estimed 2 weeks old when I bought it. I bought a medium bag of duckling starter feed. Unfortunately, our dog got into the feed container and spilled it all over the yard. All of my local feed stores are closed at this hour and I need a substitute food for the day. First thing tomorrow I will buy a new bag, but I don't want him to go hungry today. Is there any type of vegetable or anything like that which would be safe to feed him for now? He has grown so much, so he isn't small anymore. He's already starting to get his quils on his tail and growing white fuzz instead of yellow.

2. cheyfrie26

cheyfrie26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Ohio
    I use to use wet oats. Let the oats set in water for about 5 minuets, and feed them. They LOOOOVVEE it!

3. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    Boil some potatoes mash them up and let them cool. When its cold give him that along with some peas and or romaine lettuce.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you can get some good quality dry cat kibble, crunch some of that up and give it with the oats. That will add more protein (oats don't have any, if I recall correctly). Also, feeding something other than crumbles or pellets, the duckling needs to have ingested grit already. Have you been giving grit? Otherwise I'm not sure it can handle the oats or kibble.

5. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    According to "Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks" the best supplement after duck feed for ducks is cold boiled potatoes! Raw potatoes can make them sick, but cold boiled potatoes are a good source of protein for ducks. Many duck raisers will supplement boiled potatoes instead of cracked corn (corn can alter the feather colors of SOME breeds of ducks- like Blue Swedish- but boiled potatoes will not).

For more on this, see page 234-235 of "Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks" by Dave Holderread.

Good luck!!

6. DuckDuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckDuckGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Quote:They also love hardboiled eggs, which has lots of protine, and your ducks are old enough to take field trips out to the yard and grub on some slugs!!!!! their favorite!!!![​IMG]
    T.

7. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

Hardboiled eggs, mashed up into itty-bitty pieces.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by