What else?

DH?
and yes you can get netting from amazon easy enough unless someone really is looking for it it'd be hard to see
DH = Dear Husband

He doesn't want netting up because there are times when he has to go into the chicken yard/coop for various reasons such as mowing, feeding, repairs, etc. He doesn't want to be bothered by not being able to stand up. In fact, if it means he has to duck down to enter the chicken yard, he will flat out refuse to let me do it. We would need some type of center support put up within the coop to keep the net from draping and he would pitch a fit about it because he doesn't want to deal with it to begin with. I know it sounds silly to everyone on BYC because they are invested in their birds (I am too) but he is not that way.

Btw, I know that trimming feathers is likely only a short term solution....but right now I'm thinking that coyote/fox/dog will be back tomorrow or at least sometime in the next few days. I'm asking about trimming feathers as a way of keeping the birds from jumping the fence in the short term. If I can keep the birds from going over the fence and maybe electrify the fence, then that keeps them safe in the short term.

I'm asking if anyone has ever trimmed feathers and STILL had their birds fly or jump over a 4 ft fence?

Your predator won't have a problem with your fence either!!!
Mary
I'm not sure what you mean by this? Do you mean now? Do you mean if I electrify the fence? Do you mean that the chickens will still be able to jump the fence even if I clip their wings? Please provide me some context so I understand....

Thank you! :)

I'm a DH and really wish my wife didn't have her darned birds but I'll be dble darned (trying to be nice) if I'd let hard earned $$ and effort go into some predators belly.. thats illogical.

Everybody has their own marital understanding but my wife gets heart broken when something dies.. I'll be derned if I'll stand for that..If there is a predator on our place it's me not some varmint .

My injured hen seems to be acting completely normal this morning. I gave her some scrambled eggs this morning and she ate them wih gusto. I may keep her inside another day and then put her back with the others. She has a lot of bruising and the skin around her bottom is really red. Wondering if I should give her some antibiotics as a precaution? I do have some amoxicillan...

On the predator front, I went outside right before dawn this morning and waited. I had DH dig up some firecrackers for me to use as a deterrent. My hope was that setting off a firecracker or two would scare any potential threats into running the other direction. I only set off one. Didn't see any signs of anything...but I know those {bleep} always seem to strike when you least expect it. At least if I can get through until the weekend, I can buy supplies to electrify the fence and maybe add a little extra protection. DH is worried if I electrify the fence around the chicken yard that it will kill the chickens..... I told him that it shouldn't, but can you guys confirm? I was going to put a line of hot rope along the top and a line of hot rope about a foot off the ground.

Here's the latest pictures of my poor girl's bum. You can see she is missing most of her feathers in this area.

I washed her bum tonight with antibacterial soap, sprayed it with Vetricyn, and doused it with iodine and neosporin. I think it looks good, all things considered. She is eating and drinking just fine... Unless someone sees anything concerning, I will put her back with the flock tomorrow....

20210303_195439.jpg

20210303_195730.jpg

Back
Top Bottom