What exactly does breed for resistance mean?

I hope none of the posters that say they never vaccinate for anything never have a outbreak of larngyo in their flock. If you attend shows as a spectator or if you are showing you will expose your fowl to every disease in the building. Several year ago me and others I know almost got wiped out after the Ohio National show from Laryngo. Most shows if you go into the sale area you will be able to smell Coryza.

Quote:
Well not exactly...You would never intentionally expose them to anything...You simply cull the weaker birds that seem to be more susceptable to say coccidiosis or high worm loads and use your healthier, seemingly more resistant birds, as your foundation for a breeding program. Resistance in your foundation herd is more talked about in the goat, cow, sheep, pig, larger animal species...but the same principles can apply to chickens/poultry, as well.

I agree with your post BUT remember that when you use vaccinations you are exposing them to to a live virus so that they build a resistance to the disease that you are giving the vaccination for.

Example -
If you are vaccinating for Marek's disease you are exposing them to to the live virus Rispens CVI 988 strain of chicken herpesvirus.

If you are vaccinating for Coryza ABC you are exposing them to to adjuvanted, inactivated cultures of strains representing Haemophilus paragallinarum serovars A, B, and C.

So technically there some people intentionally exposing there birds to a virus/ viruses all the time.

I myself do not use vaccinations if it gets "sick" it gets culled...

Chris

Before farmers used vaccinations, my 65 year old friend told me his grandaddy. back in the day, would share a sick bird among his farmer buddies and place them in a cage in the same room with their broodies. Giving a mild airborn dose of what was already going around. You don't read alot of the trouble with disease back then as compared to today.

Last edited:
Quote:
OK, What is Laryngo?
I did a search on and nothing. do you mean laryngocentesis? That is a "Surgical puncture of the larynx, with aspiration." Or Laryngo the tracheitis virus that fish get?

Chris

Last edited:
Laryngotracheitis is what he means. An NPIP breeder in Washington state helped get a big outbreak going awhile back.

Bumblefoot is a staph infection of the foot from a wound or abrasion; it's not an immuno-suppressed disease.

I do not vaccinate and I do not attend shows.

Quote:
So, are you saying that you recommend vaccinations? If so, what all do you vaccinate for? It seems to me it would be an ongoing (and never ending) process. Is that correct?

Kathy, Last time I was at MSU dr. Fulton recommend to us that everyone vaccinate for Mareks. I vaccinate for Mareks , Newcastle-Bronchitis, Laryngo, Pox. I never use medicated feed for my chicks and never use wire floored brooders and never have cocci. I think the Coryza is called by not bleaching the water containers, I bleach my container once a week in 16-1 bleach water.

Most shows have diseased fowl.

If you're going to shows, you probably should vaccinate for the 'flock killers', I posted on a thread a year ago a list recommended by Mr. Brown from First State Vet--and promptly got reammed.
smile.png

I have seen at shows birds showing signs of Mareks, Lymphoid Leukosis , and many DQ'd for Coryza. I've heard horror stories of people losing most of their flocks to Laryngotracheitis (LT), although I do not know anyone personally.

I think the short list from Mr. Brown was: Mareks, Coryza?, LT, and IB (Infectious Bronchitis)--I can't remember for sure. Mareks and LT was definately on the list....

The Marek's needs to be done as day olds, but the rest are done at different age ranges. It can be arranged as a once a year thing.

Back
Top Bottom