What exactly does F1 mean?

poultrylady

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Delano, Tn.
I am going on a roadtrip tomorrow to look at some Lady Amhearst pheasants, the elderly man that has them told me they were F1 pheasants, I am really not sure what that means, can someone explain that to me? He offered them to me at a great price because he cannot care for them any more and he knows I will give them a good home. He also offered me some Mearns quail, I hope to get them also.

actually in game birds, F1 mean first generation from wild stock.
In domestic fowl it refers to a crossing between two breeds or colors.

I doubt seriously they are F1 amherst, those are very few and far between and cost a ton due to all needed to import new lines.

Quote:
I stand corrected.
thumbsup.gif
All I know about game birds are that they're purty.
But Boggy Bottom have a ton of birds and experiance! I learn something new every day.

Hi Delinda,
A lot of folks I've noticed like to say around here that their birds are "F1" stock. But, be careful about believing them. I can tell you from the 10 years experience of living in Asia that these birds are almost extinct in the wild. They have almost no habitat and frankly in China and Burma where these birds are originally from the only use these people find in them is to eat them! So, when someone tells me that their stock is "F1" I ask them to prove it with the proper documents. So far, no one has ever been able to show me anything. Hope you have a great road trip though. If your ever in Middle Tn on a road trip stop by and share bird stories! I live outside of lawrenceburg which I think is far cry from your town

That's very true. Now if they are giving them to you at a cheap price, $40- $50pr I could care less what they called them as long as they look good.
But yes, anyone with actual F1-F3 birds should easily and readily be able to prove it. After all, if they imported them themselves, they should have a ton of paperwork from the $1000 per bird endevor (and that's just the quarentine cost)
People have learned by calling them F this and F that, that new folks cant tell the difference and will unknowing trust them and buy them for higher prices.
But about the only person I know right now who still has this kind of stock outside the San Diego Zoo, is Mr. Summner of Tripple S Farms.
There are a few others, he's just the only one I know right off personally. It takes major dedication to do all that with forgein species.
So before you buy, if folks are selling them as such, ask like tenneesseered said, prove it. Show me the records or studbook on them, Triple S can

Thanks everyone for the info. He is giving me such a great price on them that I really don't care if they are true F1s. He did tell me he ordered them from a breeder out west a few years ago and paid alot of money for them. He told me he dosent care obout the money, he just wants to make sure they go to a good home, he has a friend whom he sent down last Sunday to check out where I would keep them, I quess his friend gave a good report because he called me yesterday morning and offered them to me. He has the parents and 2 pair of their offspring, he offered them to me for $25. each if I took them all. I already have the Silvers, Red Goldens, and yellow goldens, and I have always wanted to add the Amhearst to my collection of pheasants. I really enjoy the pheasants, probably more than any other birds I have. They are beautiful birds and don't eat me out of house and home like the chickens!

Highly unlikely they are F! Amherst, that would mean the parents are wildcaught. Probably F3 or F4.
Looking at the import documents from 2004 thru 2009, there was 55 Lady Amherst imported from NIGERIA to LA in 2005.
another 40 from Tanzania into Miami in 2004 and another 40 in 2006.

Still trying to figure that out, especially coming out of Africa.

This means stock that is first generation from wild birds. There are a lot of impure Amhersts around, so take a close look at them and ask a lot of questions about their history when you get there...

Quote:
yep, good deal, $25 each is average yearling prices for run of the mill amherst, so that's all I would call them, amherst, dont even worry about the F 1 thing, I assure you they arent. They'd be a grand or better if they were. Like you, often people hear those terms being thrown around a lot and just end up using it without true knowledge of what they are talking about, so it's great you asked!

Yes alien,
Imports from Africa on Asian birds that's pretty odd there, some one must have had some excellent stock over there for that to have been worth all the effort put into the import

Back
Top Bottom