What exactly have I bought today?

DragonFeather

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 4, 2012
Hello everyone!

I went out today simply to buy some isas to start a small laying flock to work alongside plans for purebred flocks, and i spotted (and fell in love with this big silvery rooster. at 35 for him and his girlfriend i decided they'd look pretty at home so they came with me too! They were sold to me as aracuanas but they dont match any descriptions of them. Help?? There's a public album of them and the isas below.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151313741671111

Many thanks!

I didnt insert a photo. i shoudl have inserted a link to an album of photos. *sigh* silly computers shall add pictures below!

Rooster

Rooster on left, female on right

Female's face

no way araucana, they are rumpless and has tufts, pea combs and no crest, my bet is a mutt of some kind, but i type i love
love.gif
if i were you i might try to hatch the eggs and see if they breed true, if so, i would breed for more of them, but that is me

Rhode Runner I'm in australia so i have no clue what the original source of the birds would be or what the australlian standards for araucanas is at this point in time. it's the rumpless/etc description that had me thinking not araucana, but then there's so many pictures/etc of lavenders that look so simialr to them. They do actually have a sort of crest, but nothing fantastic haha

I dont care either way what they are but am curious (they were sold to the seller as araucanas, and therefore sold to me as araucanas). Apparently the female was broody/starting to sit on eggs before she was sold so i do hope i get chicks miss heny!

Last edited:
Rhode Runner I'm in australia so i have no clue what the original source of the birds would be or what the australlian standards for araucanas is at this point in time. it's the rumpless/etc description that had me thinking not araucana, but then there's so many pictures/etc of lavenders that look so simialr to them. They do actually have a sort of crest, but nothing fantastic haha

I dont care either way what they are but am curious (they were sold to the seller as araucanas, and therefore sold to me as araucanas). Apparently the female was broody/starting to sit on eggs before she was sold so i do hope i get chicks miss heny!
Your birds look about right :) They are not supposed to have much of a crest.
http://www.crestedbreeds.com/crested_breeds_araucana.html

Back
Top Bottom