What exactly have I bought today?

DragonFeather

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 4, 2012
Hello everyone!

I went out today simply to buy some isas to start a small laying flock to work alongside plans for purebred flocks, and i spotted (and fell in love with this big silvery rooster. at 35 for him and his girlfriend i decided they'd look pretty at home so they came with me too! They were sold to me as aracuanas but they dont match any descriptions of them. Help?? There's a public album of them and the isas below.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151313741671111

Many thanks!

DragonFeather

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 4, 2012
I didnt insert a photo. i shoudl have inserted a link to an album of photos. *sigh* silly computers shall add pictures below!

Rooster

Rooster on left, female on right

Female's face

miss heny

Genetic Expert in learning
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jan 30, 2010
Louisville, Mississippi
no way araucana, they are rumpless and has tufts, pea combs and no crest, my bet is a mutt of some kind, but i type i love
love.gif
if i were you i might try to hatch the eggs and see if they breed true, if so, i would breed for more of them, but that is me

DragonFeather

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 4, 2012
Rhode Runner I'm in australia so i have no clue what the original source of the birds would be or what the australlian standards for araucanas is at this point in time. it's the rumpless/etc description that had me thinking not araucana, but then there's so many pictures/etc of lavenders that look so simialr to them. They do actually have a sort of crest, but nothing fantastic haha

I dont care either way what they are but am curious (they were sold to the seller as araucanas, and therefore sold to me as araucanas). Apparently the female was broody/starting to sit on eggs before she was sold so i do hope i get chicks miss heny!

Last edited:

RhodeRunner

Songster
11 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Ashtabula, Ohio
Rhode Runner I'm in australia so i have no clue what the original source of the birds would be or what the australlian standards for araucanas is at this point in time. it's the rumpless/etc description that had me thinking not araucana, but then there's so many pictures/etc of lavenders that look so simialr to them. They do actually have a sort of crest, but nothing fantastic haha

I dont care either way what they are but am curious (they were sold to the seller as araucanas, and therefore sold to me as araucanas). Apparently the female was broody/starting to sit on eggs before she was sold so i do hope i get chicks miss heny!
Your birds look about right :) They are not supposed to have much of a crest.
http://www.crestedbreeds.com/crested_breeds_araucana.html

Top Bottom