What eye drops / eye wash?

kuntrychick

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
Alabama
Can anyone tell me what brand of eye drops for conjunctivitis you use for your chickens & where do you get them? The ones with chloramphenicol. I haven't been able to find them. I've seen some online available OTC but is in the UK. Are there any here in the US? I saw some for conjuctivitis aka "pink eye" that said "natural" & has several ingredients listed, but not chloramphenicol.

Also, I know you can mix up saline eye wash, but what kind of eye drops to look for for that?

Thanks in advance.

You can get Neosporin Eye Ointment at the feed store... at least here. It is pretty expensive for a tiny tube... but, it only takes a little bit each application. (inside of the outer eyelid, lower or upper two or three times a day). Ask at the feed store or search here. Oh, it was almost $18. at my feed store, but that's a bit on the high side.
I don't know about the natural ingredient one. There are some for people here in the US... Similisan (sp?) -- but, I bought the Neosporin Eye Ointment at the feed store. Also, VetRX has directions for "eye worm", don't know if it would help with Conjunctivitis.

Good luck.

Quote:
Did you mean Terramycin eye ointment at feed store? Neosporin Triple Anti-biotic ointment here (for humans) is fairly cheap, especially the generic store brands of it & it is available at any drug store, grocery store, etc. I know it can also be used on chickens (only the regular kind...the one without pain reliever).

I just know I've seen several posts where it was mentioned to use conjunctivitis eye drops & also saline drops or eye wash (which can be mixed up as a home remedy instead of buying some). I am just trying to get together a small Chicken First Aid Kit & wanted to buy some of those eyedrops to have on hand. I can't find the conjunctivitis kind at all here. I wanted to have some in my medicine cabinet for us as well. I would also like to know the name brand of the saline kind as well. There's just SO many eye drops in the store....regular for moisturizing, for red eyes, for dry eyes, allergies, rewetting drops, numerous kinds for contacts, etc. I just do so much better if I know the name brand of something so I can I find it easier & make sure I'm getting the right thing (& I can look for the generic store brand equivalent).

I was thinking maybe it's something that you have to specifically asks the pharmacist for...maybe something they keep back there. ?????

Is conjunctavitis called pink eye in the US (i think it is) the reason you probley cant find it in the US is its probebly a different name over there but will be the same thing.. Ill try and find the alternative name for you.... Tracy..

Found it, the brand name in US is "Moxeza or Vigamox" it contains Moxifloxacin same as Chloramphenicol. Its an antibiotic eye drop.. Hope that helps...Tracy

Here in the US conjunctivitis is the medical term, but it is also referred to as "pink eye". I don't think those drops are available OTC here; I think they're only available by prescription. It's probably due to prevent misuse, to prevent antibiotic resistance.

If anyone knows of any OTC eye drops in the US, please let me know. I'll have to look through several prescription ear & eye drops I have here on hand to see what I have that chickens can use. I know I have Tobradex.

Last edited:
YES, it is Terramycin.. I have the tube in my hand. 1/8 ounce... $16.95 -- plus tax.. I bought it at the feed store.. sorry for the mix up in names, it is an "Oxytetracycline Hydrocloride -- Antibiotic Ophthalmic Ointment with Polymyxin B Sulfate".

Back
Top Bottom