What Feed for just pets?

Robbo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
Idaho
I will be hopefully getting two to three chicks soon (Hens). Once they are off of their beginning chick feed what do I go to?

I see so many different kinds... I plan on keeping them just as pets. If they produce eggs we most likely will use them...

Whether you mean to use them for eggs or not, hens in lay need layer ration, or added calcium. Otherwise, there should be a basic ration available at the feed store. Then just grit and treats.

While arguably feed can help "condition" for laying, really the most important contributing factors to egg laying are photo-period (the amount of daylight or artificial light they get), genetics (which ties into breed), and their own individual programming, as it were.

If you want them for pets, I suggest researching which breeds are not known to be heavy layers (I am looking at sex links, leghorns, etc), as sometimes heavy laying chickens are more prone to internal laying and reproductive problems. Hatchery birds are also somewhat more prone to these problems, but that is a general rule, not a hardfast one!
There is a wealth of info on here about what breeds might work well for you.

No matter what breed, a high quality food is idea, and once they start laying you will have to either supplement with calcium or give them layer feed, as they will continue to lay with or without it.

Last edited:
Would this feed be okay to start the chicks on?

Purina Chick Start and Grow

The feed I plan on using after they are able to switch is an all natural chicken feed a local ranch makes and sells.

Around what age do I switch them, if I am reading right - around when I put them outside and all feathers grown?

Would this feed be okay to start the chicks on?

Purina Chick Start and Grow

The feed I plan on using after they are able to switch is an all natural chicken feed a local ranch makes and sells.

Around what age do I switch them, if I am reading right - around when I put them outside and all feathers grown?

Could you share with us the ingredients, and if known, the protein percentage for the natural feed you get locally? Does it have added calcium? It might be okay for the chicks too, if ground finer (smaller) for the chicks.

Sure! I will get the ingredients when I head out there tomorrow for some supplies. But if I remember right the protein is about 17% and I don't believe there is extra calcium as it recommends purchasing oyster shells.

Sure! I will get the ingredients when I head out there tomorrow for some supplies. But if I remember right the protein is about 17% and I don't believe there is extra calcium as it recommends purchasing oyster shell
Lack of added calcium is good for chicks. The protein percentage is a tad low, but maybe doable. Particularly if you added protein treats.

Back
Top Bottom