What feed should be fed to a flock of different ages?

nursemkt

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 7, 2013
I have four 22 weekers (almost ready to lay), four 9 weekers, and three 4 weekers. They are all on grower at the moment, but I am going to be needing a new bag of feed this week. I know the girls that are 22 weeks will be needing a layer feed....but they all house together. What do you reccomend for feed for a mixed flock with such different ages? Thanks in advance for your help
big_smile.png

I also have a mixed flock. Lay feed is just chicken feed with extra calcium. As long as you provide this calcium in another way, your layers don't need a layer. A grower or all flock with a separate calcium source like oyster shell will work great for everyone and is also great if you have roos or molting birds in your flock. This way the hens can regulate their own calcium needs and no one gets too much or two little.

Once all your hens reach laying age you can switch to a layer or just stick with this.

Leave them all on Grower. It's just fine as an "all purpose" "all flock" type feed.

Supplement with a dish of calcium for a source for anyone laying or about to lay. That's it. Easy as pie.
Some feed companies make a raiser called Flock Raiser or All Flock, but it not different enough to mess with.

Last edited:
Thank you! That it excellent advice. What if the younguns eat the oyster shell? I read somewhere that too much calcium can cause kidney problems in the future for the birds?

They will likely get a little but they do need a little so that's OK. Chickens are good at regulating their own needs if given good choices so they should only eat what they need.

The problem is giving young birds a layer. Because the calcium is mixed in they have no choice but to eat it whether they need it or not.

Should I continue with the crumbles? Or can I change to pellet form?

Back
Top Bottom