What Feed?

bigdaddyjts1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 5, 2013
I am a brand new chicken owner. I have three beautiful young hens. Their age range is between 10-14 weeks. The guy at Tractor Supply said I should be feeding them layer feed. According to what I am seeing on here, it is too early for layer feed and I should wait until spring when they are ready to lay to feed them layer feed. What should I do? I trust the folks on here more than a kid at Tractor Supply. Any help is appreciated.
thumbsup.gif

Hi &
welcome-byc.gif
It's too early to switch them to Layer feed. What I would do is add a pan with Oyster shells so they have it free choice in a couple weeks, when the oldest ones are 16 wks old. When the youngest ones get to 16 weeks old then, change them all over to Layer feed. TSC has Layer feed that is 16% but if you find they start feather pecking - you should raise the protein in their diet. You may be able to find 18% Layer feed to switch them to. Good Luck.

Congratulations on your new hens! FriedGreenEggs answered your question about timing, I just wanted to add that TSC also carries Purina products now, and they have a Flock Raiser that is an 18%, which I find to be very useful for most birds.

Have fun with them!

Thanks so much, I switched them over to a grower/finisher, they didn't really want it at first so I mixed in some treats to get them started. This morning I just gave them the feed with no treats and they ate it just fine!

Back
Top Bottom