What gauge hardware cloth for cage floor

Sinar

Chirping
Mar 2, 2019
Gainsborough, England
What is the ideal gauge of wire for the floor of a quail cage? I have a choice of 1/2” x 1/2” in either 16g or 19g, would the thicker 16g be best or not?

Any advice appreciated.

I don't do quail, I do chickens, but I use 1/2" hardware cloth for the floor of the brooder and grow-out coop. Quail are a lot lighter than chickens but I'd still go with the heavier gauge. You can make a knife out of a strand of wire, a cheese slicer for example. I have no experience with quail but I'd just feel safer with the heavier wire. Take that for what little that is worth, not much.

The main reason I'm responding is that due to the manufacturing process some wire mesh can have sharp little nibs on it. That might be from the automatic welding or the hot dip galvanizing. If they are present, and they are not always, they should all be on one side. So before you install it carefully rake it with your hand to see if you need to put a certain side facing down.

My wife and I modified a jumbo dog kennel that had no floor but a pull out cleaning tray. I added a 1/2 x 1/2 19g floating floor to separate them from their waste. Works perfectly. For sure wouldn’t go smaller. Additionally make sure the wire is coated to protect their feet. Amazon has great options.

The cages will be kept in a secure shed so I don't think I will have a predator problem. I live in the UK so we don't have too many predators, but I've ordered 16 gauge wire.

Back
Top Bottom