What Gender? - 8 & 12 week old Brahma x Cochin chicks

Spoof

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Carencro, LA
I wanted some pretty yard decorations so hatched some eggs out of my Partridge Brahma and Blue Buff Splash Cochin hen. Got quite the rainbow too! Also one Bramha x EE that is freaky large, I'm guessing that thing is a rooster? The two largest are 12 week olds ( 2 - blue and 1 - buff partridge maybe?) The other large thing with the blue neck and red feathers is that 8 week old EE x Brahma. Never had anything grow this fast, it hatched at the same time as the smaller chicks.

So, guess on gender (or color)? I am suspecting that I have mostly roos in the younger group.

The Easter Egger mix is definitely a cockerel. I'm seeing a lot of single combs, so I seriously question the Brahma parentage. One of the Blue Partridge chicks has deep red through the shoulders, so that one is also male for sure.

Thanks! Roo and hens were raised together in a pen, I've questioned wether or not he has recent cochin in his past just due to his size. He is a monster.

With blue partridge the deeper red color indicates roosters vs the lighter color? Or am I looking for a combination of color depth and red over the shoulders? One is definitely mahogany in tone, the others more reddish. I've not had much luck finding pictures of 4-12 week olds in that color. I will leave everyone to grow out a bit more except the EE cross. I personally prefer the straight combs, but nobody does LF cochins in the fun colors. :)

Last edited:
Thanks! Roo and hens were raised together in a pen, I've questioned wether or not he has recent cochin in his past just due to his size. He is a monster.

With blue partridge the deeper red color indicates roosters vs the lighter color? Or am I looking for a combination of color depth and red over the shoulders? One is definitely mahogany in tone, the others more reddish. I've not had much luck finding pictures of 4-12 week olds in that color. I will leave everyone to grow out a bit more except the EE cross. I personally prefer the straight combs, but nobody does LF cochins in the fun colors. :)

Need a better picture, but the rooster might be a Cochin/Brahma mix. The Cochin hen is Splash Brown Red. Not Splash Buff.

The red on the shoulders/wing bow isn't limited to this color. It's on many red based birds, even buff males have darker shading in that area. Easter eggers are the most common mixed color birds with readily available pictures for comparison.

You got some pretty yard candy! The rooster is beautiful. I do think he looks more Cochin-ish than Brahma, but a better pic would confirm. Regardless, mix and match is a fun game and he's a handsome guy.

Thanks everyone! Will do some more chick picture browsing for red based birds.

I have another 11 of these guys in the incubator hopefully hatching Sunday. If all goes well that will leave me with ~10 total pullets for next year.

More pictures of the rooster, he does have an odd wing shape compared to a cochin, they make a slapping sound when he flaps.

Looks like a Partridge colored Brahma. And a beautiful one at that. If a rosecomb bird crosses with a straight comb bird the staight comb gene is much more dominant and offspring will be dominant straight comb.. The rarer colors of Brahmas are HUGE birds!!!!

Looks like a Partridge colored Brahma. And a beautiful one at that. If a rosecomb bird crosses with a straight comb bird the staight comb gene is much more dominant and offspring will be dominant straight comb.. The rarer colors of Brahmas are HUGE birds!!!!
Brahmas have pea combs, not rose combs. And both rose comb and pea combs are dominant over single combs.

Back
Top Bottom