What gender am I???

MommaLlama55

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2024
Hi all! We got these 4 chicks from a family member this week and I am having trouble determining a definite sex. I took my dad with me to pick them out since he has years and years of experience with chickens but even he had a bit of trouble given their age. There’s a buff Brahma and the other 3 are silver lace wing wyandottes and they are all about 8 weeks ( the Brahma is just a few days older). Can anyone take an educated guess at the gender of these babies? I know they may need to grow a little more before we can truly tell but I’m trying to figure it out so I can swap out any Roos for pullets if need be. I labeled each chick by color and number. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4300.jpeg
    IMG_4300.jpeg
    517.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4276.jpeg
    IMG_4276.jpeg
    767.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4296.jpeg
    IMG_4296.jpeg
    622.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4293.jpeg
    IMG_4293.jpeg
    838.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4295.jpeg
    IMG_4295.jpeg
    640.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4281.jpeg
    IMG_4281.jpeg
    776.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4292.jpeg
    IMG_4292.jpeg
    596.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4289.jpeg
    IMG_4289.jpeg
    851.5 KB · Views: 10
I say all pullets too! One thing though, the Brahma is not a Brahma. I'm guessing she's a Cochin, because she has the wrong comb type for a Brahma.
Really? Good to know! And honestly I’m not sure if they are cross bred or not. So that one was just my dad’s guess. The wyandottes can from a Wyandotte hen so we knew those. Thank you!

I also have a feeling 2&3 maybe Roos. The only thing I have to base that opinion on is their wattles. But I’m totally new to sexing chicks so I’m also pretty clueless.😂 thank you!
I’m no expert, but Wyandottes tend to redden up quite early, even the pullets. I still think they’re girls, but time will tell!

I’ve definitely got my fingers crossed for all girls though I’m ok having 1 roo. After looking up some more pictures of Wyandottes at this age you are totally right about them reddening up at an early age. Now I’m even more confused.lol.

Back
Top Bottom