What gender is my EE?

Definitely a little roo there. Girls don't have that color pattern on them.

just wondering if ee are mutt chickens how do you know that a hen wont have a certain color pattern? last year I hatched 3 ee (think a splash color) and the only difference i saw in the cock was the comb before he started crowing and I rid myself of the 3am wake up call he looked exactly like the hens feathering and all

just wondering if ee are mutt chickens how do you know that a hen wont have a certain color pattern? last year I hatched 3 ee (think a splash color) and the only difference i saw in the cock was the comb before he started crowing and I rid myself of the 3am wake up call he looked exactly like the hens feathering and all

it's because of the dark rust red color that's coming in on the shoulders. pullets don't have that color in that location, sorry but I can't really explain why. they just don't.

I was wondering the same thing! Although I do trust what Illia has to say, I've read other posts from her and she knows her EEs! From what I understand the pullets will have a pattern to their colors, and makes are kind of splotchy. Telltale sign of males is the red over the wings. Am I right? But it's still very hard for me to tell the difference. I have a point of lay pullet w/these same colors.

S/he only seems to have 1 row of peas in the comb. I'll put in a pic in a min.

Last edited:
Imagine a Blue Wheaten male but with a reddish orangey breast and more blue in the hackle and saddle than normal. That's how he will look.
smile.png

Well good for him that he's got looks going for him. I got him from a hatchery, supposed to be a pullet! Unless I can figure out how to do sex changes in my backyard...I guess I'll keep him.

Here are a few more pics, someone requested i get a better pic of the tail. Here's one of the comb too, showing there is only 1 row of peas. I will still hold out a little glimmer of hope but's it's not looking good.
gig.gif
Funny thing is I just got a grown rooter b/c I was lacking in the boy department. Then all of a sudden this one and another young-un decided overnight they wanted to be boys!
ep.gif
So I think I just went from 2 to 4 roos in the matter of a few days!

This is how he holds his tail when he doesn't think I'm taking a picture. He's the "headless" one behind the silkie butt.

Back
Top Bottom